1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intergrating factor

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(2y-6x)dx + (3x+4x2y-1)dy = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(3xy+4x2)dy/dx = 6xy-2y2

i'm stuck, want to find the intergrating factor, it's xy2 when i reverse from the answer :D.. give me any hint please
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2
    or am i suppose to use special integrating factor??
  4. Feb 1, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure there is an integrating factor? Maybe I'm just not seeing it. But you could also try the substitution v=y/x. That should make it separable.
  5. Feb 2, 2010 #4
    yey, i got it now, there's another technique which i don't really know the details..

But to find suitable intergrating factor,

its something like

e([tex]1/M[/tex])[([tex]N(x,y)/dx[/tex]) - ([tex]M(x,y)/dy[/tex])]

and is equal to xy2

and multiply both sides by the integrating factor, and will get Exact form of equation and solve it, hoho,

but maybe i need to try substituting v=y/x
  6. Feb 2, 2010 #5

Science Advisor

Every first order differential equation has an integrating factor- it just may be hard to find!

Are you required to find an integrating factor? this equation is "homogeneous". Write it as
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{6x- 2uy}{3x+ 4x^2y^{-1}}= \frac{6- 2\frac{y}{x}}{3+ 4\frac{x}{y}}[/tex]

Let u= y/x so that y= xu and dy/dx= u+ x du/dx and that will become a separable equation for u as a function of x. If you really want to find an integrating factor, I think that solving for u and then y and deriving the integrating factor from the solution is simplest.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook