Mastering Integration by Parts: Tips and Tricks for Solving Difficult Problems

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a difficult problem and sharing a link to view it. They receive advice to use the integration by parts rule and are reminded to use the neater version of u and v instead of f(x) and g(x).
Spectre32
I'm stuck on this one problem. If anyone can aid me, I would greatly appericate it.

http://home.comcast.net/~personalcomp1/Impossible_calc_problem.JPG

I scaned in the problem sooo there's the place to view it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you can write it as sec^(n-2)x*sec^2xdx and see where that takes you.

Roger that.. i'll do that and see where that takes me.

Here's the neater version (avoid the f(x) and g(x)'s when solving problems) of the integration by parts rule:

[tex]
\int u dv = uv - \int v du
[/tex]

Now follow Parth Dave's advice. I mentioned this as some old books still use f(x) and g(x) instead of the neater looking u and v. (Oh well, you might use f and g instead of u and v ;-))

Cheers
Vivek

1. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is used when the integrand is a product of two functions. It is usually helpful when one of the functions is easier to integrate than the other.

2. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the integrand and du and dv are their respective differentials.

3. How do I choose which function to assign as u and which as dv?

A common method is to use the acronym "LIATE" which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential. The function assigned as u should be the first in this list that appears in the integrand.

4. What do I do if the integral becomes more complicated after using integration by parts?

If the integral becomes more complicated, try using integration by parts again. You can also try using other techniques such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

5. Is there a specific pattern or order to follow when using integration by parts?

Yes, there is a specific pattern to follow when using integration by parts. First, assign u and dv. Then, find du and v using differentiation and integration. Finally, substitute these values into the integration by parts formula and solve for the integral.