Solve Ellipsoid Problem: Integrate cos(theta)*sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2/a^2)]

In summary, the individual is struggling with integrating an equation involving cos(theta) and sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2)/(a^2)]. They are unsure if integration by parts is necessary and are looking for guidance on which values to use for v' and u. It is suggested that a substitution may be a simpler approach.
Yura

Homework Statement

someone asked the ellipsiod problem before and i didnt under stand anythign in the repsonces >< but i had already gotten this far that my equation (simplified) is

cos(theta)*sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2)/(a^2)]

i need to integrate this equation with respect to d(theta)

or even just this part: sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2)/(a^2)]
(if intergration by parts is required)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using by parts but i ended up with a lot of numbers getting more and more complex

i at least need to know if by using integration by parts is heading in the right direction for this
and if it is, then which values do i set for the v' and u?

i've tried both ways but neither seems to be gettig me anywhere, I've had to do so many different intergrations by part for each because there are more within each one.

or is there some rule that i should be using to solve for this intergration?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Yura said:

Homework Statement

someone asked the ellipsiod problem before and i didnt under stand anythign in the repsonces >< but i had already gotten this far that my equation (simplified) is

cos(theta)*sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2)/(a^2)]

i need to integrate this equation with respect to d(theta)

or even just this part: sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2)/(a^2)]
(if intergration by parts is required)
I cannot imagine why integration by parts would be required- it's an easy substitution: replace cos^2(theta) with 1- sin^2(theta) and then let v= sin(theta)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using by parts but i ended up with a lot of numbers getting more and more complex

i at least need to know if by using integration by parts is heading in the right direction for this
and if it is, then which values do i set for the v' and u?

i've tried both ways but neither seems to be gettig me anywhere, I've had to do so many different intergrations by part for each because there are more within each one.

or is there some rule that i should be using to solve for this intergration?

thanks in advance

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is similar to a sphere, but with different lengths for each axis. It is formed by rotating an ellipse around one of its axes.

2. What is the "Ellipsoid Problem"?

The "Ellipsoid Problem" refers to the mathematical challenge of finding the volume of an ellipsoid. It is a well-known problem in calculus and has been studied by many scientists and mathematicians.

3. How do you solve the Ellipsoid Problem?

The Ellipsoid Problem can be solved by using the formula V = (4/3)πabc, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the three axes of the ellipsoid. This formula can be derived by integrating the function cos(θ)*sqrt[cos^2(θ) - (x^2/a^2)] over the appropriate limits.

4. What is the meaning of the symbols in the given equation?

The symbol "cos" stands for cosine, a trigonometric function. "θ" is the angle between a given point on the ellipsoid and the chosen axis of rotation. "x" represents the distance from the center of the ellipsoid to the point, and "a" is the length of the semi-major axis of the ellipsoid.

5. Why is the Ellipsoid Problem important in science?

The Ellipsoid Problem has practical applications in many fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and geology. It allows scientists to calculate the volume of objects that are similar to ellipsoids, such as planets and moons. It also has theoretical significance in understanding the properties of ellipsoids and their relationship to other geometric shapes.