1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intergration problem

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    someone asked the ellipsiod problem before and i didnt under stand anythign in the repsonces >< but i had already gotten this far that my equation (simplified) is

cos(theta)*sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2)/(a^2)]

i need to integrate this equation with respect to d(theta)

or even just this part: sqrt[cos^2(theta) - (x^2)/(a^2)]
    (if intergration by parts is required)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried using by parts but i ended up with alot of numbers getting more and more complex

i at least need to know if by using integration by parts is heading in the right direction for this
    and if it is, then which values do i set for the v' and u?

i've tried both ways but neither seems to be gettig me anywhere, i've had to do so many different intergrations by part for each because there are more within each one.

or is there some rule that i should be using to solve for this intergration?

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I cannot imagine why integration by parts would be required- it's an easy substitution: replace cos^2(theta) with 1- sin^2(theta) and then let v= sin(theta)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?