1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intergration problem

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1
    Hi i am completely stuck on a intergration problem, i have tried substition, and every technique i can think off but i cannot solve it. It is a improper intergral and the answer is pie/4

The question is:

find the intergral with limits upper pie/2 and lower 0

1/(1+(tanx)^sqaureroot pie).dx

P.S: how do i type equations liek the way some ppl do in their threads

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2005 #2
    [tex] \int\frac{1}{1+tan^{\sqrt{e\pi}}(x)}{dx} [/tex]

Is that the right integral? Clicking the graphic will show you the code to type it.

4. Mar 26, 2005 #3
    Following thread was about how to write mathematical stuff using Latex. Very nice. Have it in your favorites if you are going to post a lot. Click any one of those equations/expressions to find the Latex tag.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997&highlight=latex

5. Mar 26, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay.Here's the antiderivative

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{\pi}} x} [/tex]

(v.attachement).

Now,u can see that,both in the lower limit & in the upper one,u need to compute the limits in ivolving the [tex] _{2}F_{1} [/tex] of an adorable argument & tangent of "x" to a weird power.

Good luck with those limits... :smile:

Daniel.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 26, 2005 #5
    and by the way, [itex]\pi[/itex] is spelled "pi." :)

7. Mar 26, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like "pie"...:tongue2:Yumm-Yumm :!!) (Please work on that Latex code,will u?People are confused because of your weird notations).

Daniel.

8. Mar 26, 2005 #7
    There's also only 1 r in both "integration" and "integral".

9. Mar 26, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And it's "...think of"...:tongue2: And "like" (sic!)...

Daniel.

P.S.Another piece of advice:use the spell checker.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  10. Mar 26, 2005 #9
    Its "Another PIECE OF advice" :-D

11. Mar 27, 2005 #10
    Thanks so much guys, wow you guys run a real good service. Oh, and thanks for the correction, of course how stupid was i to write "pie", indeed it is "pi".

12. Mar 27, 2005 #11
    No, this is the integral [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{\pi}} x} [/tex]
    Oh, and to the dexter, could you clarify what steps you took reach the antiderrivative? Like substitution or interation by parts?

13. Mar 27, 2005 #12
    He got mathematica to do it. I find it extremely unlikely that it is possible to express the antiderivative in terms of elementary functions. In what context did this integral appear?

14. Mar 27, 2005 #13
    Oh, so he used a computer program or something? So this integral cannot be expressed with elementary functions?

15. Mar 27, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,it cannot.If u decide to include hypergeometric functions among elementary functions,then u might say it is,else,not.

Now,if u plot the functions

[tex] \frac{1}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{\pi}}x} [/tex] & [tex] \frac{1}{1+\tan^{2}x} [/tex] on the interval [tex] [0,\frac{\pi}{2}) [/tex]

,then,by evaluating the integral of the second function on the same interval (which is very,very easy),u might get an approximation to the first integral.If u have a software that could plot them together in the same picture/graph,it would be perfect.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?