1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interior diagonal

1. Dec 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to show that every polygon with more than 3 sides has an interior diagonal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If the polygon is convex, this is obvious. If not, there is an interior angle at some vertex, say V, that is greater than 180 degrees. Then I think a ray emanating from V and sweeping the interior of the polygon must strike another vertex. I cannot find a counterexample to that, but I am not sure how to prove that. It seems like the polygon would be infinite if that is not true, but how can I explain that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the rays from the vertex don't hit another vertex then the first side that they hit must be the same side no matter what the angle. So if you are viewing a segment from a point can it sweep an angle of over 180 degrees?
  4. Dec 26, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might be able to start by showing that there is an internal line from your vertex to a non-adjacent edge of the polygon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?