1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interior Points are Open

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For S [itex]\subset[/itex] Rn, prove that S° is open.

2. Relevant equations
    S° are all interior points of S.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My class has only learned how to use balls to solve these types of problems (no metric spaces). So I need to choose an ε > 0 so that Bε(x) [itex]\subset[/itex] S°, where x is any arbitrary point in S°. To show this is true, let y [itex]\subset[/itex] Bε(x) be arbitrary. (then I don't know how to progress further...how do I show that the neighbourhood contains only points in S°?)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by choosing an arbitrary [itex]x \in S^o[/itex]. By definition this is an interior point of [itex]S[/itex], so there exists [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] such that [itex]B_\epsilon(x) \subset S[/itex]. Now, if you can show that every point [itex]y \in B_\epsilon(x)[/itex] is an interior point of [itex]S[/itex] then you're done. To do this, it certainly suffices to show that you can fit a smaller ball [itex]B_\delta(y)[/itex] around [itex]y[/itex] which is entirely contained within [itex]B_\epsilon(x)[/itex], because then you will have [itex]y \in B_\delta(y) \subset B_\epsilon(x) \subset S[/itex]. Try drawing a picture to see how to define [itex]\delta[/itex], the radius of the smaller ball.

4. Jan 17, 2013 #3
    Thank you, I did not notice that you can put another ball inside the ball to make the proof work.

Using this, I was able to make a series of inequalities using the triangle inequality, and managed to prove that [itex]y \in B_\delta(y) \subset B_\epsilon(x) \subset S[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook