Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interior points

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    Hallo,

My teacher wrote that:

"The set has no interior points, and neither does its complement, R\Q" where R refers real

numbers and Q is the rationals numbers.

why can't i find an iterior point?

thanks,

Omri

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2
    Let q be an arbitrary rational number. Does there exist a neighborhood of q that is a subset of Q?

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3
    How about the fact that I can squeeze a real number between any two arbitrary points of Q?

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Irrelevant. Do you mean an irrational number? Now that would be relevant.

6. Jul 10, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So "the set" is Q. For p to be an interior point of Q, there must exist an interval around p, [math](p-\delta, p+\delta)[/quote] consisting entirely of rational numbers. For p to be an interior point of R\Q, the set of irrational numbers, there must exist an interval [itex](p- \delta, p+ \delta)[/itex]] consisting entirely of irrational numbers. There is NO interval of real numbers consisting entirely of rational number or entirely of irrational numbers.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  7. Jul 10, 2009 #6
    That was what I said anyway, but of course a real is not necessarily rational part got lost along the way... Sorry for that.

8. Jul 11, 2009 #7
    thank you for your comments,

I'm sorry but the statement (as i guess you already assume) was:

"The set Q has no interior points, and neither does its complement, R\Q"

thanks

Omri

9. Jul 11, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that was essentially what everyone was assuming.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook