Interior points

• Thread starter omri3012
  • Start date
Hallo,

My teacher wrote that:

"The set has no interior points, and neither does its complement, R\Q" where R refers real

numbers and Q is the rationals numbers.

why can't i find an iterior point?

thanks,

Omri

Answers and Replies

Let q be an arbitrary rational number. Does there exist a neighborhood of q that is a subset of Q?

How about the fact that I can squeeze a real number between any two arbitrary points of Q?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How about the fact that I can squeeze a real number between any two arbitrary points of Q?
Irrelevant. Do you mean an irrational number? Now that would be relevant.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hallo,

My teacher wrote that:

"The set has no interior points, and neither does its complement, R\Q" where R refers real

numbers and Q is the rationals numbers.

why can't i find an iterior point?

thanks,

Omri
So "the set" is Q. For p to be an interior point of Q, there must exist an interval around p, \(\displaystyle (p-\delta, p+\delta)[/quote] consisting entirely of rational numbers. For p to be an interior point of R\Q, the set of irrational numbers, there must exist an interval [itex](p- \delta, p+ \delta)[/itex]] consisting entirely of irrational numbers. There is NO interval of real numbers consisting entirely of rational number or entirely of irrational numbers.\)

Last edited by a moderator:
That was what I said anyway, but of course a real is not necessarily rational part got lost along the way... Sorry for that.

thank you for your comments,

I'm sorry but the statement (as i guess you already assume) was:

"The set Q has no interior points, and neither does its complement, R\Q"

thanks

Omri

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, that was essentially what everyone was assuming.