Intermediate Physics Books: Mechanics, Electrodynamics for College

• Studying
  • Thread starter mewmew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, there are several good intermediate/higher level college physics books for mechanics and electrodynamics. Some recommended options include Goldstein, Arnold, Marsden, Landau & Lifschitz, Griffiths, Daniel.Marion and Thornton, and Wangsness. However, it is important to have a strong background in math, specifically differential and integral calculus and ordinary differential equations, before tackling these texts.
mewmew
What are good intermediate/higher level college physics books are out there for Mechanics and electrodynamics? I am a physics major in an introductory calculus based honors physics class right now(we are using the Serway and jewett text) and want to get a jump start on physics for next year. I intend to do a LOT of reading this summer and need a nice supply of books. Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't really understand how advanced the level of those books must be.On classical mechanics,it can't get "worse" than Goldstein and Arnold (or Marsden).In between to an introductory text is Landau & Lifschitz.
As for CED,maybe u'd like to take a look into Griffiths' book.The "worst" is J.D.Jackson's.

Daniel.

Marion and Thornton is a undergraduate level mechanics text. Wangsness is about the same level for E&M. If you have worked thru Serway, you have enough background for them if your math skills are up to dat, i.e. Differential and Integral Calculus and ordinary Differential Equations.

1. What topics are covered in "Intermediate Physics Books: Mechanics, Electrodynamics for College"?

The book covers fundamental concepts in mechanics and electrodynamics, including Newton's laws, conservation of energy and momentum, electric and magnetic fields, and electromagnetic waves.

2. Is this book suitable for college-level students?

Yes, the book is designed for students at the intermediate level of physics, typically for college students who have completed introductory physics courses.

3. Does the book include practice problems and solutions?

Yes, the book contains numerous practice problems and their solutions to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts.

4. Are there any supplementary materials available for this book?

Yes, the book is accompanied by a solutions manual and an online platform with additional resources such as interactive simulations and tutorials.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for self-study?

Yes, the book is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for self-study and review of the fundamental concepts in mechanics and electrodynamics.