1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate books?

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    What are good intermediate/higher level college physics books are out there for Mechanics and electrodynamics? I am a physics major in an introductory calculus based honors physics class right now(we are using the Serway and jewett text) and want to get a jump start on physics for next year. I intend to do a LOT of reading this summer and need a nice supply of books. Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't really understand how advanced the level of those books must be.On classical mechanics,it can't get "worse" than Goldstein and Arnold (or Marsden).In between to an introductory text is Landau & Lifschitz.
    As for CED,maybe u'd like to take a look into Griffiths' book.The "worst" is J.D.Jackson's.

Daniel.

4. Feb 9, 2005 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Marion and Thornton is a undergraduate level mechanics text. Wangsness is about the same level for E&M. If you have worked thru Serway, you have enough background for them if your math skills are up to dat, i.e. Differential and Integral Calculus and ordinary Differential Equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?