Show Intermediate Field: Q[i.rt(6)] Between F & Q

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, an intermediate field is a subfield that contains elements from both a larger field and a smaller subfield. It is determined by finding common elements between the two fields, and can help to understand the relationship between different fields. The field Q[i.rt(6)] is generated by the rational numbers and the square root of 6, and can exist between any two fields as long as there are common elements. The significance of showing an intermediate field is to explore new mathematical structures and properties.
Firepanda
How do I go about showing a field is intermediate between two others?

For example I'm trying to do this question:

24y4i2s.jpg

But first of all I'm trying to find the degree of the extension [F:Q[i.rt(6)]]

How can I show that Q[i.rt(6)] is an intermediate field?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's obviously contains Q because, well it contains Q. It's contained in [tex]\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{2}-i\sqrt{3}][/tex] because [tex](\sqrt{2}-i\sqrt{3})^2=2-2i\sqrt{6}-3[/tex] (try to work out the details if that doesn't make it obvious).

1. What is an intermediate field?

An intermediate field is a subfield of a larger field that contains elements from both the larger field and a smaller subfield. In the context of "Show Intermediate Field: Q[i.rt(6)] Between F & Q", the intermediate field would be a subfield of the field of rational numbers (Q) and would contain elements from both Q and the field generated by the square root of 6 (F).

2. What is Q[i.rt(6)]?

Q[i.rt(6)] is the field generated by the rational numbers and the square root of 6. This means that all elements in this field can be written as a combination of rational numbers and the square root of 6, with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division operations.

3. How is an intermediate field determined?

An intermediate field is determined by finding the common elements between the larger field and the smaller subfield. In this case, the intermediate field is determined by finding all elements that can be written as a combination of rational numbers and the square root of 6.

4. What is the significance of showing an intermediate field?

Showing an intermediate field can help to understand the relationship between different fields and their subfields. It also allows for the exploration of new mathematical structures and properties that may arise in the intermediate field.

5. Can an intermediate field exist between any two fields?

Yes, an intermediate field can exist between any two fields as long as there are common elements between the two fields. However, the structure and properties of the intermediate field may vary depending on the specific fields involved.