1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate Value Property

1. Jun 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to show the attached function satisfies the Intermediate Value Property.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I looked at the property definition, but I am really unsure what is being stated. I think if I knew what the property was stating, I could do the problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2016 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a function has the IV property if the image of every interval is an interval. i.e. if for every interval [x1,x2] in the domain, the set of values f(x), for all x with x1 ≤ x ≤ x2, is also an interval.

4. Jun 23, 2016 #3
    Is it enough to say an interval could be [-10,0]. Then I select x1 to be -9 and x2 to be -1. f(x1)=-.412 and f(x2)=-.841. I look and select k to be between those and find a c value which f(c)=k.

5. Jun 23, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a single example, well, not even a complete example. Definitely not a proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted