1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate Value Property

Tags:
  1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-6-27_9-0-49.png '
    Here is the given problem

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a. For part a, I felt it was not continuous because of the sin(1/x) as it gets closer to 0, the graph switches between 1 and -1. Then I felt it might be continuous, therefore I am not sure.

b. For part b, I felt it has the Intermediate Value Property (IVP), because I can do something with the IVT. Those were my thoughts and ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Can you show that the limit as approached positively is different from that as approached negatively? Or that it's different than f(0)? So in other words,
    ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) \neq f(0)##?

For b, I'm not really sure. I thought one of the requirements was that f(x) was continuous...
    Perhaps this will be of some use.
    http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...te-value-property-and-discontinuous-functions
    Looks like you need to look at the derivatives near zero.

4. Jun 28, 2016 #3
    For part a you would have to do what BiGyElLoWhAt suggested. For b I believe you would have to prove that the function in either monotone increasing or decreasing. IVP says that for any x value between two other x values, the y value will be in between the y values for the other two x values.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. Jun 28, 2016 #4
    Screenshot_2016-06-28-13-20-07.png
    IVP theorem

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. Jun 28, 2016 #5
  7. Jul 2, 2016 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

If there exist sequences [itex]x_n[/itex] and [itex]y_n[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} y_n = 0[/itex] but [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} f(x_n) \neq \lim_{n \to \infty} f(y_n)[/itex] then [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous at zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted