Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate Value Theorem

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    From the Intermediate Value Theorem, is it guaranteed that there is a root of the given equation in the given interval?

cos(x)=x, (0,1)

cos(0)= 1
    cox(1)= 0.540...

So using intermediate value theorem, no.

and

x=0 can't be possible because 0 was excluded in the domain by the round bracket so 0<x<1. Therefore there can't be a root. In other words the domain makes it so the graph is discontinuous at 0 (f(0) does not exist) and if the graph/function doesn't at that point there cannot be a root there.

The answer is yes, but I am struggling to understand why and I am not sure if the books answer is wrong or if I'm wrong.

*I also don't know why cos(x) = x , because when x=1 they aren't equal and would only be true at 1 point in this domain (when x=~0.79).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2
    It's probably better to examine the equivalent question; Is there a solution to ##\cos x-x=0## on the interval ##(0,1)##?

The Intermediate Value Theorem says
    If we put ##f(x)=\cos x-x##, your (revised) question is asking whether there is ##c## in ##(0,1)## satisfying ##f(c)=0##, right?

Given that ##f(0)=\cos 0-0=1>0## and ##f(1)=\cos 1-1<0## (you should check that), do you see how the IVT guarantees a ##c## in ##(0,1)## with ##f(c)=0##? Do you see how this is the same as saying ##\cos c=c##?

Note that you also need to say something regarding the continuity of ##f(x)=\cos x-x## on the closed interval ##[0,1]##.

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3
    Oh ok, that makes sense, I thought the question was asking me to do something else.

Yeah, that would have made it much clearer imo.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  5. Sep 13, 2014 #4
    For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of the use of the word "root" in the problem statement. It'd probably be better to use the word "solution" in that context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook