Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate Value Theorem

1. Jul 21, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm confused about an explanation in Elementary Calculus, the infinitesimal approach regarding Intermediate Value Theorem.

The explanation:

Suppose g is a continuous function on an inverval I, and g(x) # 0 for all x in I

(i) If g(c) > 0 for at least one c in I, then g(x) > 0 for all X in I
    (ii) if g(c) < 0 for at least one c in I, Then g(x) < 0 for all x in I

Proof: Let g(c) >0 for some c in I. If g(x1) < 0 for some other point x1 in I, Then by Intermediate value theorem, there is a point x2 between c and x1 such that g(x2) = 0, contrary to hypothesis. Therefore we conclude that g(x) > 0 for all x in I

The one thing I don't understand is this:
    If g(x) # 0 for all x in I, then how can there be a point x2 such that g(x2)=0 between c and x1 (assuming c and x1 and x2 are within the inverval I) if g(x) is # 0 for all x??
    "g(x) is # 0 for all x" tells me that the equation g(x) can never be zero for any x right?

And how can we conclude that g(x) > 0 for all x in I, if there exists a point x2 such that g(x)=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There cannot be such a point. Since assuming that g(x1) < 0 leads to the existence of such a point, the assumption cannot be correct. This is the entire point of a proof by contradiction: Assume A. If A leads to a contradiction, then the negation of A must be true. In your case, A is "there exists a x1 such that g(x1) < 0". Since it leads to a contradiction, there is no x1 for which g(x1) < 0, thus proving that g(x) > 0 for all x.

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There can't exist such a point. That's exactly what this proof is saying. Where did you get the idea that there could?

We can't! That is the exact opposite of what this proof is saying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook