Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermittent motion

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    Does anyone know of a cheap mechanical device which is able to achieve specific intermittent / discrete motion along a shaft?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

What kind of motion? Like a crawling motion? How fast? can the shaft have threads, or does it need to be smooth?

I remember a linear motor mechanism that I read about once that could move on a smooth shaft because it had two gripper mechanisms (one at each end), and an extension capability in the middle. I forget what the application was, though.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  4. Feb 2, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

5. Feb 14, 2010 #4
    I'm trying to rotate a shaft 60 degrees every 30 seconds; right now I'm looking into some sort of toothed gear / ratchet powered by a linear solenoid actuator... I'm still working on figuring out the details but it could work.

do you guys agree with that or should I be looking at something else ??
  6. Feb 14, 2010 #5

Gold Member

Which is it?
  7. Feb 14, 2010 #6
    Sorry, I meant to say the latter in the original post (I can't update it for some reason)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook