1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermolecular bonding

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

All molecular compounds may have London, Dipole-Dipole, and hydrogen bonding intermolecular forces, affecting their physical and chemical properties. Indicate which intermolecular forces contribute to the attraction between molecules in each of the following classes of organic compounds.

a) CH3OCH
    b)C6H5COOC2H5
    c) CaCO3

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do it for simple molecular formulas, but now I have molecular formulas with more than 2 different elements. How would I go about doing this? Would I need to draw out the lewis structure and do the electronegativies between the molecules that are connected? Any help would be appreciated, I do not want answers, just a kick in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    I think you're on the right track; it might help to think about it more generally---what characteristics determine which intermolecule forces are important? Which of those characteristics do each of those compounds possess?

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    So for example all of those would have Hydrogen bonding because the H is chemically bonded to O in all three examples?

All would have weak london forces, I believe, what constitutes dipole-dipole?

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5
    London forces = hold covalent molecules together
    Dipole-dipole = Hold polar covalent molecules together
    hydrogen bonding = formed between electropositive Hydrogen dipole and an electronegative dipole of O, CL, Fl, N

7. Sep 24, 2011 #6
    bump, still stuck on this question, any help appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook