Intermolecular bonding homework

In summary, all molecular compounds contain London, Dipole-Dipole, and hydrogen bonding intermolecular forces, which contribute to their physical and chemical properties. For the specific compounds a) CH3OCH, b) C6H5COOC2H5, and c) CaCO3, all possess hydrogen bonding due to the presence of H chemically bonded to O. They also have weak London forces. Dipole-dipole forces are present in polar covalent molecules, but it is unclear which of these compounds are polar and therefore have dipole-dipole forces. Further analysis of the compounds' characteristics is needed to determine this.
phee

Homework Statement

All molecular compounds may have London, Dipole-Dipole, and hydrogen bonding intermolecular forces, affecting their physical and chemical properties. Indicate which intermolecular forces contribute to the attraction between molecules in each of the following classes of organic compounds.

a) CH3OCH
b)C6H5COOC2H5
c) CaCO3

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do it for simple molecular formulas, but now I have molecular formulas with more than 2 different elements. How would I go about doing this? Would I need to draw out the lewis structure and do the electronegativies between the molecules that are connected? Any help would be appreciated, I do not want answers, just a kick in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on the right track; it might help to think about it more generally---what characteristics determine which intermolecule forces are important? Which of those characteristics do each of those compounds possess?

zhermes said:
I think you're on the right track; it might help to think about it more generally---what characteristics determine which intermolecule forces are important? Which of those characteristics do each of those compounds possess?

So for example all of those would have Hydrogen bonding because the H is chemically bonded to O in all three examples?

All would have weak london forces, I believe, what constitutes dipole-dipole?

zhermes said:
what characteristics determine which intermolecule forces are important?

zhermes said:

London forces = hold covalent molecules together
Dipole-dipole = Hold polar covalent molecules together
hydrogen bonding = formed between electropositive Hydrogen dipole and an electronegative dipole of O, CL, Fl, N

bump, still stuck on this question, any help appreciated

1. What is intermolecular bonding?

Intermolecular bonding refers to the attractive forces that hold molecules together in a substance. These forces are weaker than the chemical bonds within a molecule, but they play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of a substance.

2. What are the different types of intermolecular bonding?

The three main types of intermolecular bonding are hydrogen bonding, dipole-dipole interactions, and London dispersion forces. Hydrogen bonding occurs when a hydrogen atom is bonded to a highly electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen. Dipole-dipole interactions occur between molecules with permanent dipoles, while London dispersion forces occur between all molecules due to temporary dipoles.

3. How does intermolecular bonding affect the properties of a substance?

Intermolecular bonding determines the melting and boiling points, as well as the viscosity, surface tension, and solubility of a substance. Stronger intermolecular bonding leads to higher melting and boiling points, while weaker bonding results in lower melting and boiling points.

4. How does temperature affect intermolecular bonding?

As temperature increases, the energy of molecules also increases, causing them to move faster and overcome intermolecular forces. This leads to a substance transitioning from a solid to a liquid to a gas. At extremely high temperatures, the intermolecular bonding is completely broken and the substance becomes a plasma.

5. How can intermolecular bonding be manipulated?

Intermolecular bonding can be manipulated by changing the molecular structure of a substance or by adding other substances to it. For example, adding a polar substance to a nonpolar substance can increase the strength of intermolecular bonding between them. Additionally, temperature and pressure can also affect intermolecular bonding in a substance.