Internal Direct Sum of Commutative Rings: Is I + R/I = R?

In summary, the question is whether for a commutative ring R and an ideal I, it is true that I \oplus R/I \cong R. While it is true in some cases, it is not true in general for commutative rings. It is also not true for finitely-generated Abelian groups. The conversation also touches on the concept of Sylow subgroups and their relationship to the isomorphism of groups.
markiv
For a commutative ring [tex]R[/tex] and an ideal [tex]I[/tex], is it true that [tex]I \oplus R/I \cong R[/tex] ? I know in some cases this is true, and I know it's true for finitely-generated Abelian groups, but is it true for any commutative ring?

In other words, we know that [tex]R/I[/tex] is isomorphic to some ideal in [tex]R[/tex], call this [tex]J[/tex]. It's clear that [tex]I \cap J = 0[/tex], but does [tex]I + J = R[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing some relevant details. What kind of isomorphism are you talking about? Ring isomorphism? Group isomorphism? Set isomorphism? When you say "ring", does it have to contain a multiplicative identity? When you say "ideal", is it even allowed to contain a multiplicative identity? (if so, there is only one such ideal)

I know it's true for finitely-generated Abelian groups
What is true? It is certainly not true that [itex]G \cong G/H \times H[/itex] for all abelian groups G and subgroups H -- e.g. let G be the cyclic group of 4 elements...

Heh well that last part answers my questions right away. I was talking about rings with identity and ring isomorphisms. And I was talking about just any ideal. But if it's not true for FG Abelian groups, then it can't be true for commutative rings either!

Thanks!

Hurkyl said:
What is true? It is certainly not true that [itex]G \cong G/H \times H[/itex] for all abelian groups G and subgroups H -- e.g. let G be the cyclic group of 4 elements...

I'm just trying to understand why I thought this, but if [tex]H[/tex] is Sylow in [tex]G[/tex], then [tex]G \cong G/H \oplus H[/tex], right? Still assuming [tex]G[/tex] is FG Abelian, of course.

markiv said:
I'm just trying to understand why I thought this
I never really remember the Sylow stuff. I have three other guesses as to why you might have thought it, though:
  1. It's true for vector spaces.
  2. It's "often" true for abelian groups (e.g. if the quotient is torsion free)
  3. There is an isomorphism of sets between G and H (+) G/H

(For the third point, I'm pretty sure I'm using the axiom of choice)

Or, maybe you're partially remembering a general theorem:
If there is a group homomorphism f : G/H --> G with the property that f(x) = x (mod H), then G is isomorphic to H (+) G/H​

Well this is what I was thinking. If G is a FG Abelian group, then it can be decomposed as [tex]G \cong \mathbb{Z}^r \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{p_1^{\alpha_1}} \oplus \cdots \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{p_n^{\alpha_n}}[/tex] where [tex]n = p_1^{\alpha_1}\cdots p_n^{\alpha_n}[/tex], and where [tex]p_i[/tex] are (not necessarily distinct) primes. So if [tex]H[/tex] is q-Sylow, then [tex]H[/tex] has to be of the form [tex]H \cong \mathbb{Z}_{q^\beta_1} \oplus \cdots \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{q^\beta_m}[/tex]. All summands in the decomposition of [tex]G[/tex] that are q-groups must be included in the decomposition of [tex]H[/tex], otherwise [tex]H[/tex] would not be q-Sylow. But that means, if I mod out by [tex]H[/tex], then I am killing entire summands in [tex]G[/tex]. I think that means then that [tex]G \cong G/H \oplus H[/tex]. On the other hand, if I didn't factor out a Sylow subgroup, then I'd be leaving parts here and there in some of the summands of [tex]G[/tex]. Like in the cyclic group of order 4, the whole group itself is the only summand. And so [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex] is not Sylow in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex], so I wouldn't be killing off a whole summand if I mod out by that. [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex] would still remain. At least I think this makes sense :tongue:

Should be [tex]H \cong \mathbb{Z}_{q^\beta_1} \oplus \cdots \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{q^\beta_m}[/tex]

Wait actually... FG Abelian groups are nilpotent, and a group is nilpotent if and only if it is a direct sums of its Sylow subgroups. So [tex]G \cong G/H \oplus H[/tex] if [tex]H[/tex] is a Sylow subgroup of nilpotent group [tex]G[/tex] ?

1. What is the definition of an internal direct sum of commutative rings?

An internal direct sum of commutative rings is a construction in abstract algebra where two subrings of a larger ring are combined in such a way that every element of the larger ring is uniquely expressible as a sum of elements from the two subrings. This construction is denoted as R = I + J, where R is the larger ring and I and J are the two subrings.

2. How is the internal direct sum different from the direct sum of commutative rings?

The internal direct sum of commutative rings is a construction within a larger ring, while the direct sum of commutative rings is a construction of two separate rings that are combined to form a new ring. Additionally, the internal direct sum allows for a unique representation of elements, while the direct sum does not necessarily have this property.

3. What is the significance of the internal direct sum in commutative ring theory?

The internal direct sum is a powerful tool in commutative ring theory as it allows for the decomposition of a larger ring into smaller, more manageable subrings. This can aid in understanding the structure and properties of the larger ring, and can also be used to prove theorems and solve problems.

4. How is the internal direct sum related to the quotient ring of a commutative ring?

The internal direct sum is closely related to the quotient ring of a commutative ring. In fact, the quotient ring R/I can be thought of as the internal direct sum of I and R/I, which is denoted as R/I = I + R/I. This connection allows for the use of techniques and results from the internal direct sum construction in the study of quotient rings.

5. Is I + R/I always equal to R in an internal direct sum of commutative rings?

No, I + R/I is not always equal to R in an internal direct sum of commutative rings. This equality only holds if and only if the intersection of I and R/I is the zero element, or if I and R/I are complements of each other in the larger ring R. In general, I + R/I is a direct sum of the two subrings, but may not be equal to the entire larger ring.