Internal Energy: gas inside piston

In summary, a cylinder with a free moving piston filled with gas is heated from 300K to 400K. The heat capacity of the gas is 500J/K and the length of the gas in the cylinder increases by 20cm. The change in the internal energy of the gas is equal to the heat added minus the work done by the piston, which is equal to the pressure inside the piston multiplied by the change in volume. Using this equation, it can be found that the change in internal energy is approximately 456500J.
cokeaddict
A cylinder (cross section is 0.2m2) with a free moving piston is filled with gas. The piston is attached to a heavy weight W = 10000N. Outside the cylinder, the air is at 300K and 1atm. Initially the gas is at 300K, then it is heated to 400K. The heat capacity of the gas under the constant pressure is 500J/K.

If the length of the gas in the cylinder l increases by 20cm during the heating, find the change in the internal energy of the gas in Joule J.

Im thinking:

C = Q / delta T

C (delta T) = Q

500 x (400-300) = 50000 J = Q

so...delta U = Q - W

W = P delta V

i guess P is the pressure inside the piston...I've told something like this:

Inside pressure = outside pressure - weight_force/cross_sectional_area

I tried that, i came up with 456500 = ( 101300 - 10000) / .2

? i don't know...any help would be appreciated...:frown:

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
oops, i actually got it...thanks though...

I would like to clarify some of the concepts and equations used in this scenario.

Firstly, internal energy refers to the total energy of a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of its particles. In this case, the internal energy of the gas inside the piston will change as it is heated, leading to an increase in temperature and possibly a change in volume.

The heat capacity of the gas refers to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of the gas by 1 Kelvin. In this case, the heat capacity is given as 500 J/K, meaning that 500 Joules of heat is required to raise the temperature of the gas by 1 Kelvin.

The equation C = Q/delta T is known as the specific heat capacity equation, where C represents the heat capacity, Q represents the heat added, and delta T represents the change in temperature. This equation can only be used for substances with constant heat capacity, which may not be the case for this gas.

In order to calculate the change in internal energy (delta U), we need to use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy (delta U) is equal to the heat added (Q) minus the work done (W) by the system. In this case, the work done is the pressure (P) times the change in volume (delta V).

To determine the pressure inside the piston, we can use the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. We can rearrange this equation to solve for P, and then use it to calculate the work done by the gas.

Once we have all the necessary values, we can plug them into the first law of thermodynamics equation to calculate the change in internal energy (delta U). This will give us the change in internal energy in Joules, which is the desired answer.

In summary, to find the change in internal energy of the gas inside the piston, we need to use the first law of thermodynamics, the ideal gas law, and the specific heat capacity equation to calculate the heat added, work done, and ultimately the change in internal energy.

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including both its kinetic and potential energies. In the context of a gas inside a piston, it refers to the energy of the individual gas molecules as they move and collide with each other and the walls of the piston.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

The internal energy of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the gas molecules also increases, resulting in a higher internal energy.

3. What factors can affect the internal energy of a gas inside a piston?

The internal energy of a gas can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and volume. Additionally, the type of gas and the number of gas molecules present can also impact the internal energy.

4. Can the internal energy of a gas inside a piston change without any external work being done?

Yes, the internal energy of a gas can change without any external work being done. This can occur through processes such as heating or cooling the gas, or through chemical reactions within the gas itself.

5. How is the internal energy of a gas calculated?

The internal energy of a gas can be calculated using the equation U = 3/2 * nRT, where U is the internal energy, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.