Internal Energy of Natural Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total energy required to heat 50ml of liquid natural gas from -165 degrees Celsius to 5 degrees Celsius. The necessary information needed for the calculation includes specific heat, heat of vaporization, and boiling point of LNG, with the assumption that the formula Q=MC(T2-T1) may apply. The person attempting the solution used values of Cp=2.5J/kg.K and Vap=600kJ/kg, with a specific gravity of 0.6, resulting in an estimated total energy of 30kJ.
robip

Homework Statement

I have liquid natural gas, or LNG, at -165degrees Celsius. I want to know the total energy required to heat the gas up 50ml to 5 degrees Celsius.

Homework Equations

Not sure.
Im assuming I need information regarding specific heat etc. Heat of vaporization maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to hunt down some more data on LNG but couldn't find it. I do remember a formula from my high school days a long the lines of Q=MC(T2-T1). Not sure however if that only applies to solids?

Physics news on Phys.org
total energy = H1 + H2 + H3

H1 = (Cp x mass x (bp - (-165oc))
H2 = (heat of vap x mass)
H3 = (Cp x mass x (5oC - bp)

Yes you will need density, specific heat and Heat of vap of the LNG (and b.p of course) - don't know if it will be good enough to use the methane values though

Ok I needed a fair amount of safety, so I used worst case scenarios of Cp being 2.5J/kg.K and Vap being approx 600kJ/kg. The specific gravity was 0.6.

I calculated it to being approx. 30kJ. Does that sound correct?

What is the internal energy of natural gas?

The internal energy of natural gas is the total energy that is contained within a certain amount of natural gas. It includes both the kinetic energy of the gas molecules as well as the potential energy of their interactions.

How is the internal energy of natural gas measured?

The internal energy of natural gas can be measured using various techniques, such as calorimetry or thermodynamic calculations. It is typically expressed in units of joules (J) or British thermal units (BTUs).

What factors affect the internal energy of natural gas?

The internal energy of natural gas is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas. Additionally, the amount of energy added or removed from the gas can also impact its internal energy.

What is the relationship between internal energy and enthalpy of natural gas?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system at a constant pressure. The internal energy of natural gas is a component of its enthalpy, along with other forms of energy such as heat and work.

How is the internal energy of natural gas used?

The internal energy of natural gas is used in various applications, such as heating and cooking in homes and businesses, as well as in industrial processes. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as electricity, through power plants.