False: Internal Energy of A & B is Not Determined by T Alone

It is not necessarily true that system A will have a higher internal energy than system B if TA>TB, as the internal energy is also affected by molecular translational, rational, vibrational, and electronic energies. Additionally, the internal energy is a function of both temperature and the number of molecules present in the system, not just temperature.
sparkle123

Homework Statement

Why is this false?
"if systems A and B each consist of pure liquid water at 1 bar pressure and if TA>TB, then the internal energy of system A must be greater than that of B"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems true to me. Could it be that B has more molecular translational, rational, vibrational, electronic energies? but then wouldn't t be higher?
also i thought U was a function of T.

Physics news on Phys.org
sparkle123 said:

Homework Statement

Why is this false?
"if systems A and B each consist of pure liquid water at 1 bar pressure and if TA>TB, then the internal energy of system A must be greater than that of B"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems true to me. Could it be that B has more molecular translational, rational, vibrational, electronic energies? but then wouldn't t be higher?
also i thought U was a function of T.
U is a function of n and T.

AM

What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy.

How is internal energy determined?

Internal energy is determined by factors such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

What does it mean for internal energy to not be determined by temperature alone?

This means that other factors, such as pressure and volume, also play a role in determining the internal energy of a system.

What are some examples of systems where internal energy is not solely determined by temperature?

Examples include systems with changing volumes, such as expanding gases, or systems with changing pressures, such as a piston-cylinder system.

Why is it important to consider factors other than temperature when studying internal energy?

Considering other factors allows for a more accurate understanding of how internal energy behaves and how it can affect the overall behavior of a system.