1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal Energy

1. Nov 17, 2004 #1
    I have a question concerning internal energy and the First Law of Thermodynamics. If you plotted P vs V and the shape of the graph is an enclosed shape ie) square or triangle, would the total internal energy in one cycle be zero? (one cycle is for example-start at top left of square and finish at top left of square). I think this is right, but am a little uncertain being a Physics moron and all. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2004 #2
    If anyone has any idea on this I would love to hear from you. This thought is what I have based several questions on, and if I am incorrect I need to figure out something else. Thanks.
  4. Nov 18, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Internal Energy is a variable of state. Given some thermodynamic trajectory, for instance from 1 to 2, the change of internal energy is given by:

[tex] \int_1^2 du=u_2-u_1[/tex]

Due to the fact in ideal gases and perfect liquids the internal energy is only a function of the temperature:

[tex] u=c_vT[/tex]

then if 1 is the same thermodynamic state than 2 the change of internal energy is zero, no matter which trajectory it was.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?