Solve Internal Energy Problem with a Hammered Spike | Physics Homework Help

• Thread starter lilshortwun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internal
In summary, the problem involves calculating the increase in internal energy of a 0.75 kg spike that is hammered into a railroad tie with an initial speed of 3 m/s. The tie and spike together absorb 85% of the spike's initial kinetic energy, resulting in an increase in internal energy of 6.3375 J. The remaining energy is lost as heat and sound.
lilshortwun
Internal Engery PROBLEM, HELP NEEDED!

Homework Statement

A 0.75 kg spike is hammered into a railroad tie. The initial speed of the spike is equal to 3 m/s.
a) If the tie and spike together absorb 85 percent of the spikes initial kinetic energy as internal energy, calculate the increase in internal energy of the tie and spike.
b) What happens to the remaining energy?

Homework Equations

Epi + Eki = EpF + EkF
ke = mv^2

Serious I do not have a clue on how to do this problem. Please help me! I have been stuck on this problem for too long.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Answera) The increase in the internal energy of the tie and spike is equal to 0.85 * 0.75 * 3^2 = 6.3375 J. b) The remaining energy is lost as heat and sound.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of internal energy. Internal energy is the total energy stored within a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of its particles. It can change due to heat transfer or work done on the system.

In this problem, we are dealing with the internal energy of the spike and railroad tie system. The initial kinetic energy of the spike is given as 0.75 kg * (3 m/s)^2 = 6.75 J. Since 85% of this energy is absorbed as internal energy, the increase in internal energy of the system is 85% of 6.75 J, which is 5.74 J.

To find out what happens to the remaining energy, we can use the conservation of energy principle. According to this principle, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transferred from one form to another. In this case, the remaining 15% of the initial kinetic energy of the spike must be transferred to another form, such as heat or sound energy. This is because the spike and tie system is an isolated system, meaning there are no external forces acting on it.

In summary, to solve this internal energy problem, we need to calculate the increase in internal energy of the system using the given information and understand that the remaining energy is transferred to another form. I hope this helps you understand and solve the problem. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out for help.

1. What is Internal Energy?

Internal energy refers to the total energy contained within a system, including the kinetic and potential energies of its particles.

2. What causes changes in Internal Energy?

Changes in internal energy can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the addition or removal of heat or work.

3. How is Internal Energy measured?

Internal energy is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal), using instruments such as calorimeters or thermometers.

4. What are some real-world applications of Internal Energy?

Internal energy is important in many fields, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the design and operation of various systems, such as power plants, engines, and refrigeration systems.

5. How can I calculate changes in Internal Energy?

Changes in internal energy can be calculated using the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.