Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Internal Forces (Engineering Mechanics)

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1
    problem says knowing radius of each pulley to be 7.2 in, neglect friction, find internal forces at point J of the frame.

1st question that I have is whether the tension in section C-E of the cable also 90 lb? how about section C-D. Also, in my diagram of each of the members, I don't know how to label forces at point E where two long members and the pulley meet.

Finally, can someone gimme an idea how to go about doing this problem?
    http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/8272/15am.jpg [Broken]
    http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/4066/14ch.jpg [Broken]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Are points J and K joints? I think they are assuming pulleys have mass.

4. Oct 29, 2005 #3
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  5. Oct 29, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Yes, i'm familiar with internal forces [resultants of the stresses] (axial, shear and flexionant moment). First is to find the reactions and simply cut BE member at J, and solve for the shear force and flexionant moment.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    I beleive you dont need to take pulleys into consideration you just find all the force around the member where point J is.
    Then you just cut at point J and calculate everything again

7. Nov 1, 2005 #6
    I'm having trouble finding the vertical component of the force acting on frame B...any ideas? I set the moment about A zero and I was able to find the horizontal component of the force acting on frame B.

8. Nov 1, 2005 #7

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Find the joint forces (E point) on the AE member then use them to find the vertical component of the reaction at B on the BE member.

9. Nov 1, 2005 #8
    I got 45 lb for the vertical component of the reaction force. is that right? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook