Total Internal Reflection: v1<v2, Angle of Incidence?

In summary, when considering two adjacent transparent media with speed of light v1 and v2, if v1 is less than v2, total internal reflection will occur at the interface if the angle of incidence is greater than arcsin(v2/v1). Using Snell's Law and n = c/v, the condition for total internal reflection can be derived as n1=c/v1 and n2=c/v2, with arcsine(v1/v2) when n2/n1.
jan2905
Consider two adjacent transparent media. The speed of light through Medium 1 is v1, and the speed of light through Medium 2 is v2. If v1<v2, then total internal reflection will occur at the interface between these media if a beam of light is?

I said incident in Medium 1 and stikes the interface at an angle of incedence greater than arcsin (v2/v1). Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If v2 > v1 then v2/v1 is greater than 1. Does taking the arcsine of a number greater than 1 make sense? Use Snell's Law and n = c/v to derive the condition for total internal reflection.

Okay... that was dumb of me... so if I take n1=c/v1 and n2=c/v2, then i have arcsine(v1/v2) when i take n2/n1 right?

That's correct.

1. What is Total Internal Reflection?

Total Internal Reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index, and the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. This causes the light ray to be completely reflected back into the original medium instead of being refracted.

2. How does the speed of light in each medium affect Total Internal Reflection?

The speed of light in each medium is directly related to the refractive index of the medium. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light. If the speed of light in the first medium (v1) is slower than the speed of light in the second medium (v2), then Total Internal Reflection can occur when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle.

3. What is the critical angle and how is it related to Total Internal Reflection?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which Total Internal Reflection will occur. It is determined by the refractive indices of the two mediums according to the equation sin θc = v2/v1, where θc is the critical angle, v1 is the speed of light in the first medium, and v2 is the speed of light in the second medium.

4. Can Total Internal Reflection occur with any angle of incidence?

No, Total Internal Reflection can only occur when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. If the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle, the light ray will be refracted instead of being reflected.

5. What are some real-life applications of Total Internal Reflection?

Total Internal Reflection has many practical applications, including optical fibers used in communication technology, endoscopes used in medical procedures, and prisms used in binoculars and cameras. It is also used in the design of reflective materials, such as road signs and traffic lights, to enhance visibility at night.