1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal Resistance in a Battery

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    Hey I am confused as to the answer to this question; not sure exactly how to figure out what the answer is because it is not a constant resistance. Any help appreciated:

The potential difference across the terminals of a battery is V_1 when there is a current of I_1 in the battery from the negative to the positive terminal. When the current is I_2 in the reverse direction, the potential difference becomes V_2. What is the internal resistance of the battery?

I tried adding and subtracting the two resistances (R_1 = V_1/I_1 and R_2 = V_2/I_2), but that isn't correct, and I'm not sure of what to do. Thanks
    Josh

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2
    Call the real voltage of the battery (when it's delivering no current) V, and its internal resistance R.

In the first case V = V_1 + I_1 * R

(Here, some of the battery's real voltage is wasted overcoming the internal resistance, so the measured voltage V_1 is less).

In the second case V2 - V = I_2 * R

(Here, the current is in the opposite direction, so both the battery's real voltage and it's internal resistance oppose the applied current).

So you have a pair of equations and a pair of unknowns. Should be easy...

4. Nov 23, 2004 #3
    correct, i get the same answer...
    marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?