Internal Resistance of a Battery

In summary, the conversation is about conducting a lab to calculate the internal resistance of a battery. The formula V=IR is used, with R representing the overall resistance in the circuit. A variable resistor is used to obtain different values of resistance and a graph is drawn to find the slope, which represents the internal resistance of the battery. The use of an ammeter or voltmeter may affect the results, depending on the type of meter used. The steps of the experiment involve short circuiting the battery, setting up the circuit with the variable resistor, voltmeter, and ammeter, and recording readings for voltage and current. The equation V=(-r)I+E is used to represent the straight line on the graph.
JoakimvE
I am currently doing a lab trying to calculate internal resitance of a battery. Do I use the formula V=IR?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you denote by R? The circuit connected to the battery also has resistance?
[tex]Emf = I(R_{batt} + R_{circ})[/tex]

Using a variable resistor, take different values of R and find the values of the current (I) and voltage (V). Draw a graph of V against I, find the slope as it'll give you -r (which is the internal resistance of the battery) .

you mean to say, that an ammeter or voltmeter would come to effect my results? :confused:

and that Internal Resistance is relative to the electric current.

JoakimvE said:
you mean to say, that an ammeter or voltmeter would come to effect my results? :confused:

What do you mean? :confused:. Surely you know that if you increase resistance, current will decrease and voltage will increase?

yes... ofcourse i know that... but i mean, is Internal Resistance of a Battery a constant or not?

Yes, it is constant.

okay...
damn, my values are confusing the hell out of me...

JoakimvE,
Hey it's simple. What are the steps of the experiment you're conducting to find internal R? Are you using a variable resistor or only adding resistors to the circuit?

JoakimvE said:
This depends on the meters you are using. If you are using a modern digital meter, then then I doubt that you will be able to detect their presence. If you are using an old fashioned analog meter with a D'Arsonal/needle movement, then yes, they will have a measurable effect.

An ammeter is an addional resistance in series and a voltmeter is a resistance in parallel to the measured resistance.

variable resistor

okay, thanks a lot. I am understanding this way more now (even though I am not much of an electrician :zzz:).

anyhow, i guess the main problem is how much i varied the resistance by. i just varied the electric field (E)... I am guessing i can't calculate the resistance i added.

Emf = V(terminals) + V(lost)

JoakimvE said:
anyhow, i guess the main problem is how much i varied the resistance by. i just varied the electric field (E)... I am guessing i can't calculate the resistance i added.

You actually don't need to.. First, short circuit the battery to find its emf. Set up your circuit with the variable resistor, voltmeter and ammeter connected properly. Now increase the resistance by moving the slide and record 5 reading for voltage and current (from the voltmeter and ammeter)

Plot a graph of V against I and calculate the slope as it would represent -r The straight line you've drawn is represented by this equation:

V = (-r)I + E
E: battery emf
-rI: voltage lost due to internal resistance
V: voltage across terminals, measured by voltmeter

Hope that cleared things out for you, if you need me to explain it more let me know, I'd be glad to help.

no i got it. thanks a lot.

1. What is internal resistance of a battery?

Internal resistance of a battery is the resistance within the battery that opposes the flow of electric current. It is caused by the materials and design of the battery, and it is a crucial factor in determining the overall performance and lifespan of the battery.

2. How does internal resistance affect battery performance?

The higher the internal resistance of a battery, the more energy is lost as heat and the lower the voltage output. This results in decreased performance and shorter run times for devices powered by the battery. Additionally, high internal resistance can also lead to overheating and damage to the battery.

3. Can internal resistance be measured?

Yes, internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter or specialized battery testing equipment. However, the measurement can vary depending on the testing method and conditions, such as temperature and load.

4. How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using high-quality materials and proper design in the battery construction. In addition, keeping the battery at a moderate temperature and avoiding high discharge rates can also help reduce internal resistance.

5. Does the internal resistance of a battery change over time?

Yes, the internal resistance of a battery can increase over time due to factors such as aging, usage, and storage conditions. This can result in decreased performance and capacity of the battery. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help slow down this increase in internal resistance.