1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal resistance problem

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1
    Here is the question I need to solve:

A battery has an emf E and an internal resistance r. When the battery is connected to a 25 ohm resistor, the current through the battery is 0.75 A. When the battery is connected to a 53 ohm resistor, the current is 0.45 A. Find the emf of battery and its internal resistance.

Okay, so I have a feeling I will be using the equation V = IR, but I don't knnow how to incorporate an internal resistance into the equation or approach. Can someone please help me outline the steps to solve this? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Treat the internal resistance as a resistor (r) in series with the battery (E).
    2. Draw the circuit diagram for both cases.
    3. Solve the two circuits - write down the two equations.
    4. Solve for the 2 unknowns from the 2 equations.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  4. Sep 16, 2006 #3
    Would you be able to explain a bit more for step #1? How would my equation(s) be set up?

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You do not set up the equation until you have a circuit diagram. Once you draw the circuit as described in #1, you set up the equation using Kirchoff's voltage law (which is a fancy extension of Ohm's law): algebraic sum of all EMFs = algebraic sum of all voltage drops across resistors (these voltage drops calculated by Ohm's Law).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?