Internal Resistance: Solving for Battery Emf 9.30 V and Load 60.0 Ω

In summary, the question is asking for the internal resistance of a battery with an emf of 9.30 V and a current of 103 mA when connected to a 60.0 ohm load. The equation used to solve this is V = E - IR, and the result should be 15.48 ohms. However, further clarification is needed as the concept of internal resistance may not be mentioned in the textbook. The suggestion is to use the equation V = IR instead and consider the total resistance in the circuit.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

A battery having an emf of 9.30 V delivers 103 mA when connected to a 60.0 ohms load. Determine the internal resistance of the battery.

Homework Equations

V = E - IR

The Attempt at a Solution

i plugged in 9.3 for V, .103 for I, and 60, for R... and i got 15.48. red x... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
goWlfpack said:

Homework Statement

A battery having an emf of 9.30 V delivers 103 mA when connected to a 60.0 ohms load. Determine the internal resistance of the battery.

Homework Equations

V = E - IR

The Attempt at a Solution

i plugged in 9.3 for V, .103 for I, and 60, for R... and i got 15.48. red x... any suggestions?

What's wrong with just V = IR ?

If you know what the Total Resistance is and it's in series with the 60 ohm resistor ...

i don't understand what you mean. I don't know the relationship between R and internal resistance. and internal resistance is sooo not in my textbook.. I am def confused

1. What is internal resistance and why is it important in batteries?

Internal resistance refers to the resistance within a battery's cells, which affects the flow of current and can cause a decrease in the battery's voltage. It is important to measure and understand internal resistance in batteries because it can impact the battery's performance and overall lifespan.

2. How do you calculate internal resistance?

Internal resistance can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). Therefore, internal resistance (r) can be calculated by dividing the change in voltage (ΔV) by the change in current (ΔI). This can be represented as r = ΔV/ΔI.

3. What is the formula for solving for battery emf?

The formula for solving for battery emf (electromotive force) is E = V + Ir, where E is the emf, V is the voltage across the battery terminals, I is the current flowing through the battery, and r is the internal resistance.

4. How do you find the load resistance in a circuit?

The load resistance in a circuit can be found by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). Therefore, the load resistance (R) can be calculated by dividing the voltage across the load (V) by the current flowing through the load (I). This can be represented as R = V/I.

5. What factors can affect internal resistance in batteries?

Several factors can affect the internal resistance in batteries, including the type and age of the battery, the temperature, and the chemical composition of the battery's cells. Additionally, high or low levels of charge can also impact the internal resistance of a battery.