International Physics Olympiad

In summary, it is recommended to learn as much physics as possible through coursework and continue studying calculus until mastery. A good starting point is a textbook such as Serway or the Feynman Lectures, and enrolling in a physics class can be helpful for getting questions answered.
abhikesbhat
Is there a specific book or website that i can use to help me get to the IPho. I haven't learned much physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
abhikesbhat said:
I haven't learned much physics.

There's your starting point. You should learn as much physics as you can through your coursework.

You don't need to create a second thread for this...

Anyway, what level of math have you studied?

I have learned basic calculus(derivatives, integration) and can make AIME easily.

If you have the equivalent knowledge of a calculus I course, then you can jump right into physics (but you should still continue to study calculus until you master single variable calc), all you need is a textbook. In the other thread, Brian C said he used Serway. I don't know much about physics textbooks but heard that the feynman lectures is superb and have found it to be a good supplement to my high-school physics class. If you can, you should try to enroll in a physics class next year so that you have someone to answer questions that you will inevitably have.

Ok thanks to all

1. What is the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO)?

The International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) is an annual physics competition for secondary school students from around the world. It aims to promote interest and excellence in physics education by challenging students to solve theoretical and experimental problems in a competitive setting.

2. How is the IPhO organized?

The IPhO is organized by the International Physics Olympiad Committee (IPhOC), which consists of representatives from each participating country. The host country for the IPhO changes every year. The competition consists of two rounds: a theoretical exam and a laboratory exam.

3. Who can participate in the IPhO?

Secondary school students who are under the age of 20 and have not yet begun university studies are eligible to participate in the IPhO. Each country can send a team of up to five students to compete in the IPhO.

4. How are the winners of the IPhO determined?

The winners of the IPhO are determined based on their performance in the theoretical and laboratory exams. Each exam is graded out of 50 points, and the total score of both exams is used to determine the individual and team rankings. Gold, silver, and bronze medals are awarded to the top-performing students, and the top-scoring countries receive special awards.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the IPhO?

Participating in the IPhO can provide students with a unique opportunity to challenge themselves and develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows students to meet and collaborate with other young physics enthusiasts from around the world, and can open doors to future academic and career opportunities in physics and related fields.