Sid's Journey to IPSP at University of Leipzig

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
Heey all:))
I'm Algerian student in mechanical Engineering, I would like to apply for bachelor degree in IPSP Leipzig this witer term 2017/2018.
I've all the required documents, I just didn't submit my application into Uni-assist yet. I've some questions regarding the application please:
-I've IELTS as proof of English, should I just send a copie of it, or there's another way ??
-as for someone who's medium in both math and physics, do I have the possibility to pass my years with some hard work?
-ABout the city: is it easy to get an accomodation in University? is it cheap? and living fees (expensive or not?)
-as student in bachelor IPSP could I have a partly job while studying??
-There's possibility to apply for scholarships once you're accepted there ?

Best regards to all.

Walid Taberkokt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vikash ranjan said:
hey shabdan
How did you pay the fees?
The reference line my bank provides is too small to fit the details, how did you do it?
please help I am stuck.
I paid fees through my friends in Berlin. Sending money directly to uni-assist from Russia is too expensive (~20$). But it is possible I guess.
Hope here you can find information you need: http://www.uni-assist.de/bank-account.html.
I also heard somewhere in youtube, that somebody just sent them the numbers of his credit card (https://www.uni-assist.de/methods-payment.html "Payment by credit card (Visa or MasterCard)").

Last edited:
Likes Vikash ranjan
Now uni-assist is saying my english certificate of conclusion is not valid so they can't forward my application for uni-leipzig but I've concluded the last level, there's nothing left for me to do. How come? The uni-leipzig website says "or adequate proof of language (english)" Doesn't a conclusion certificate count as that? :(
I really want to get in :(

Stephany Vasiljevic said:
Now uni-assist is saying my english certificate of conclusion is not valid so they can't forward my application for uni-leipzig but I've concluded the last level, there's nothing left for me to do. How come? The uni-leipzig website says "or adequate proof of language (english)" Doesn't a conclusion certificate count as that? :(
Hello! That's too bad... However, you still have options! This text below should be in the pdf you've received from uniassist:

"uni-assist has carried out the pre-check of your documents with the greatest care and accuracy.
Should you however feel that we have made a mistake in our pre-check, please write to us.
State the reasons for your complaint and please include your application number. uni-assist's
management will look into your complaint and get back to you in writing. If you still disagree with
this response, we will forward your application to the respective university. The university will
then issue you a decision vested with legal capacity."

Or maybe you still have time to get a certificate they can recognize easily.

Stephany Vasiljevic said:
Proof of a minimum of 500 hours of English
(proof needs to be provided in the form of
transcript of the secondary school leaving cert
ificate or letter of confirmation from the
secondary school where the
certificate was received)
Now did your certificate include a transcript?

Heey People,

I've sent my documents to Uni-assist and I sent a "copy" of my IELTS certificate as proof of profiency of English.
Does just a copy of IELTS is valid?? I can't sent my original certificate. Because they can verify with the test report number .

Can anyone reply me and help me.

The Taberkokt said:
Heey People,

I've sent my documents to Uni-assist and I sent a "copy" of my IELTS certificate as proof of profiency of English.
Does just a copy of IELTS is valid?? I can't sent my original certificate. Because they can verify with the test report number .

Can anyone reply me and help me.
although I didn,t send IELTS, did you send an attested copy or just a photocopy?

Vikash ranjan said:
although I didn,t send IELTS, did you send an attested copy or just a photocopy?
I sent a copy of my Certificate

The Taberkokt said:
if you think your documents were complete you can appeal their decision and eventually force them to send your documents as they are to the university. The university only can take a legal binding decision. That's what I read from their website.

The Taberkokt said:
by the way when did you send your documents, mine has still not been processed.

Hi, Is there someone coming from India this year?

krishthelegend said:
Hi, Is there someone coming from India this year?
applying- yes
coming there-not sure yet

Vikash ranjan said:
applying- yes
coming there-not sure yet
Have you got your acceptance letter?

krishthelegend said:
Have you got your acceptance letter?
no, yours?

Vikash ranjan said:
no, yours?
Yes, have you completed your one year of university ?

Hey all,

So I received my acceptance letter Tuesday of last week, and have been spending the last week getting ready for the move. Is anybody else applying for housing through Studentenwerk Leipzig? Hoping to end up at least somewhat close to other IPSP students so I don't have to fly to the moon and back every time I need/want help (and I'm probably going to need a lot of it).

On a somewhat unrelated note, what in particular would anyone who has finished 1st year recommend I brush up on mathematically? I'm working on a bridge course at the moment but its from an American university and may or may not be all that helpful with IPSP. Any specific topics I should be rather fluent?

To all those still waiting on their acceptance letter; Viel Glueck!

Chris_H_R said:
Hey all,

So I received my acceptance letter Tuesday of last week, and have been spending the last week getting ready for the move...

Congratulations Chris! I am still waiting to get a response, in two days it'll be a month since they received my physical application docs. How long did you wait after they got your forms? :)

I will probably not be going to student halls, but go for some alternative options, because I'll be moving with my fiance. Maybe we should rent a house for the whole flock of 1st year physicists? heheh Either way I would definitely love not to be too far away from everyone

Whenever I have some time from work I study A level maths book- "Maths survival guide", another Calculus book and looking up some Feynman's lectures.. Got to do a lot of work to get back in shape :)

Vikash ranjan said:
by the way when did you send your documents, mine has still not been processed.
Heey all
I haven't much then I sent my documents, in the beginning of July, I hope they won't late for answer.
By the way when you apply for accomodation, how much time it tooks to answer?
And chich accomodation is suggested? near the campus ...

And hope everyone gets positive answer

Alex_Zendo said:
Congratulations Chris! I am still waiting to get a response, in two days it'll be a month since they received my physical application docs. How long did you wait after they got your forms? :)

I will probably not be going to student halls, but go for some alternative options, because I'll be moving with my fiance. Maybe we should rent a house for the whole flock of 1st year physicists? heheh Either way I would definitely love not to be too far away from everyone

Whenever I have some time from work I study A level maths book- "Maths survival guide", another Calculus book and looking up some Feynman's lectures.. Got to do a lot of work to get back in shape :)

Thank you! It took uni-assist about a month to process my application. Once it was uploaded to the university, took about two weeks to receive my acceptance letter. Did uni-assist just send you confirmation on receipt of your application documents?

I'm worried i may not be able to land a place in the student halls. I don't know if you've started looking yet, but what website/service do you use to look at apartments in Leipzig? Haha well I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, especially if the rent isn't too bad.

I've been going over some school notes on math and working on a bridge course offered by a university here in the states but I should probably also work on my physics...I really need to make sure I polish off all this rust before September.

Hi Chris
I am an applicant from Peru, my documents were received on the 13th of july so I am waiting anxiously for the results. Anyways in case I am accepted I would definitely try to get a place in the Studentwerk as a first option since it seems a safer option for me (Im 18 and never been in europe).
For prep in general check the syllabus (http://www.uni-leipzig.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Physics_IPSP_BSc_23.04.15.pdf). Linear algebra is a must as well as some calculus, in addition I would recommend some propositional logic as well as proof techniques since it is university level math.
Regarding physics first semester is all mechanics + waves( I would say mechanics only but idk if the "Waves" mentioned in the syllabus are not only mechanical :b), starting linking previous knowledge with calculus and revising concepts should be enough .
Also practice your german, not only because you would be in germany but also because there is a compulsory german course for international students. I would recommend duolingo, it gets really in your head and is very useful.

On another note hope we all make it guys, good vibes. lml

Hi everyone,

I stumbled over this thread and thought it might be interesting for you to read my perspective, as I have graduated from the IPSP Bachelor's program about 5 years ago.

On the program: When I was a student, the program was indeed quite heavy on mathematics, if you compared it to other physics bachelor programs in Germany. I remember struggling quite a bit with it in the beginning and even thought of quitting at the time, but in retrospective a solid base in mathematics is a must-have if you want to do any kind of theoretical research later. As that has been my intention, I am quite thankful for what I have been taught in those many math courses. However, as far as I remember they decreased the amount of math in the curriculum. IMHO physics is at a point right now where it would make sense to have separate programs for experimental and mathematical physics already on bachelor's level with common theoretical physics curses. If you're more experimentally oriented (you're going to find out), mathematics will also help you, but of course your focus will be on different skills and many of those will be taught to you in the IPSP program. If you're more theoretically oriented, it might make more sense to get into a mathematics program where you have the option to acquire a good physics background, as well. But of course, the IPSP program will also open the door for you to go into theory - I just wanted to make that clear.

When I was a student, the overall atmosphere in the program was indeed quite international. It was also nice that there were less students than in the German physics program. This way things were more communal and there was more time to ask questions.

The city of Leipzig is also quite nice. There is a large party culture there, many places to go to, it's a very green city, not too big, not too small and there are also many international students. Leipzig has been growing quite rapidly for some years now, so I don't know how much the housing situation has changed. As an international student it's probably best to apply for student housing.

Now the not so nice things: From my experience life can get quite lonely when you're a foreign student and you neither speak the language nor do you actively try to get into the international communities. You definitely need to take care of one of these two. Also, the program is most likely still not easy and you will struggle quite a bit in the beginning. The good news is that it pays off later, the bad news is that it can lead you to quit. Try to stay ahead, try to solve the problems first on your own and then with others, do not be afraid to ask questions - provided you have thought about them for a bit and looked at the material given to you. You can do it, if you fight and it does get easier as your studies progress.

Likes Nixnyete, Abdul Muhaymin, Alex_Zendo and 1 other person
Chris_H_R said:
Thank you! It took uni-assist about a month to process my application. Once it was uploaded to the university, took about two weeks to receive my acceptance letter. Did uni-assist just send you confirmation on receipt of your application documents?

I'm worried i may not be able to land a place in the student halls. I don't know if you've started looking yet, but what website/service do you use to look at apartments in Leipzig? Haha well I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, especially if the rent isn't too bad.

I've been going over some school notes on math and working on a bridge course offered by a university here in the states but I should probably also work on my physics...I really need to make sure I polish off all this rust before September.

There are a few FB groups for flats in Leipzig, that seem quite good. I think it's possible to find nicer and cheaper WGs (furnished, communal living spaces) than the student halls offer. My documents got sent to University last week, so hopefully, I'll hear back pretty soon to start planning the move properly :) EDIT: just got the Admittance letter :)

btw, I've just created a FB group "IPSP 2017 Vault" *cooperation intensifies*

Last edited:
Geometry_dude said:
Hi everyone,

I stumbled over this thread and thought it might be interesting for you to read my perspective, as I have graduated from the IPSP Bachelor's program about 5 years ago.

Nice insights Geo_dude! If you don't mind me asking what was your path after graduating from IPSP? :)

No, I don't mind, I'm happy to share.

After graduating from Leipzig I went to Utrecht to specialize in particle physics. That, however, did not turn out too well. Before I came there I did not know much about quantum field theory, I only had a fairly good knowledge of quantum mechanics (for a graduate student). In Utrecht the emphasis of the teaching was put on doing complicated calculations fast (usually in quantum field theory), not so much on conceptual understanding as in Leipzig. That really put me off. I did not and, after learning a lot more, still do not believe that quantum field theory is a subject that one should teach to students in a "shut up and calculate"-manner. The theory is far from carved in stone and in many aspects mathematically not defined or even inconsistent. Being very unhappy with the situation, I decided to drop out and switch to math.

In retrospect, that was a great decision, but I had to surmount many different roadblocks because of it. I slowly quit going to my physics lectures and started going to math lectures. Unerstanding them definitely wasn't easy and I still had to get more aquainted with the mathematicians' (sometimes very indirect) way of thinking. I would probably have been able to get my math degree there with more time, but living and studying in the netherlands was expensive, so I decided to go back to Germany. After a period of unemployment and not-getting-admitted-to-math-master's programs in Berlin, which I spend researching in quantum theory, I was finally admitted to the math program at TU Berlin. At this point I have finished that program with a thesis in mathematical relativity and I am trying to get admitted to doing a PhD in mathematical physics (quantum theory).

I don't think I would have had the guts and the understanding to bypass the theoretical physicists in their own field, if it weren't for the solid education I received in Leipzig.

Chris_H_R said:
Hi, I'm also planning on applying for winter semester 2017/2018. I was wondering if there are any other high school grads planning on applying, just to get to know some potential course mates.

Yeap, high school grad too bruh, it seems as if a lot of the fellas applying have degrees already so we're going to have some pretty good competition man!

Hello Y'all
I got accepted in the program, if anyone has any questions, please fire away!

Likes Yash3313
Hi everyone!
I am Spanish applicant, also just graduated from high school. I am relieved to hear that the university has already started to inform applicants of their admission!
My documents arrived on the 18th of July, and I couldn't be more eager to hear from them!
How long did it take you to receive an answer? Thanks I advance!

Hi guys this is Krish , from India. Got my Visa, acceptance letter, accommodation in studentenwerk. Traveling on 30th September.

Hey, just found this thread. I'm also starting the ipsp for the winter semester 2017. I'm from South Africa and I'm a high school graduate but I've been on a sort of gap year. I've been in Berlin for a while and I'm going back to Berlin week so I can get prepared to go to Leipzig at the end of September.

Unfortunately I did not get accepted - I have the English language proficiency and everything and thought I did not had to apply for the Studienkolleg. Apparently my Brazilian high school diploma holds me back, and I still need to do an extra/preparatory year in German before the course. Aaaand I missed the deadline for that so now I have to wait another year. :/ I got really frustrated because Leipzig sounded kinda perfect for me. I hope you guys enjoy the course and keep updating this thread for future students :)

I am an Indian student currently studying in 12th Grade in ISC. I will be giving my boards on Feb 2018 and will be getting my results around May 2018.So when Should I apply and what is minimum criteria for admission?Do they just look at the board marks?If yes then what should be the marks in order to ensure you will get admission?

Rajagopal said:
I am an Indian student currently studying in 12th Grade in ISC. I will be giving my boards on Feb 2018 and will be getting my results around May 2018.So when Should I apply and what is minimum criteria for admission?Do they just look at the board marks?If yes then what should be the marks in order to ensure you will get admission?
As far as I remember, you cannot directly apply for this program right after class 12th. You have to complete 1 year in any of the Indian colleges recognised in Germany and only then you can apply for this program.

Rajagopal said:
Hey, Sorry for the late response. The minimum criteria (for indians ) is Either 1 year of university or Cracking BOTH JEE Mains and Advanced.

Hi everyone

I've been looking into applying for the IPSP program for around 9 months now (I missed the deadline last year) and can't believe I just now found this. Just reading the comments on this forum has been more help to me than everything I've searched through in the past few months. I still have a few questions though if anyone would be kind enough to help.

1. I'm coming from the U.S. where I have studied all my life. From my understanding, I don't need to include any proof of English competency documents, because it is my primary language. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. I know I need a certified photocopy of my high school transcript and diploma, as well as my college transcript and degrees. What exactly constitutes a certified photocopy? Here is what I'm picturing: I bring my degrees (the originals) to the university from which I graduated, where they have some kind of licensed employee take a photocopy of them and put a stamp on the photocopy basically saying "this is real". I then scan the new photocopies of my degrees and send them digitally to uni-assist (along with the certified photocopy of my transcript), as well as sending the actual hard copies I just received through the post to uni-assist. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks so much in advance!