Sid's Journey to IPSP at University of Leipzig

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
I have received my admission letter from the university today and my documents were received in July 9th, so it was a little over two weeks.
How about you guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
PiaM said:
I have received my admission letter from the university today and my documents were received in July 9th, so it was a little over two weeks.
How about you guys?

Where are you from? It may be related to different countries taking different times to process the papers.

I'm from Chile, the whole process took almost two months

Likes Ahmed el tantawi
PiaM said:
I'm from Chile, the whole process took almost two months
Oooh ok.. I'm from Egypt.. hope to hear from them soon!
Congratulations

Likes PiaM
Hey guys!
The almaweb account says the status of my application is "received" is that the status it should be? Or am i missing something!

Likes PiaM
The status will change once your application is either accepted or rejected, and you'll get a document that you can find in account -> documents in the Alma web portal. You should also get a mail informing you something has been uploaded to your documents.
You've been waiting for a while, maybe you should mail them and ask what's going on, remember to use your application code that can be found in Alma web, so it's easier for them to help you.
Try to distract yourself a little, I can imagine the anxiety eating at you right now. Good luck!

Likes Doyeon Jin and Ahmed el tantawi
PiaM said:
The status will change once your application is either accepted or rejected, and you'll get a document that you can find in account -> documents in the Alma web portal. You should also get a mail informing you something has been uploaded to your documents.
You've been waiting for a while, maybe you should mail them and ask what's going on, remember to use your application code that can be found in Alma web, so it's easier for them to help you.
Try to distract yourself a little, I can imagine the anxiety eating at you right now. Good luck!

Ok thanks a lot for the advice

PiaM said:
I have already sent an e-mail yesterday with my reference number to
servicedesk@rz.uni-leipzig.de
And to
auslaenderstudium@zv.uni-leipzig.de about a week ago but no reply still.
Hope to hear from them soon

Hi everyone:

This is my first post here. I'm from Peru. I just received my letter of admission. I submitted my application on June 12th.

Hoping to see you there, guys.

(In case you're from Peru and want to know about the procedures, you can contact me)

Hey people,

Just got my confirmation from uni-assist that my application is complete and will be forwarded to Uni Leipzig, which is a big step to admission already!

How long did it take for you guys for the uni to respond? uni-assist says that it might take a few weeks.

Hector said:
Hi everyone:

This is my first post here. I'm from Peru. I just received my letter of admission. I submitted my application on June 12th.

Hoping to see you there, guys.

(In case you're from Peru and want to know about the procedures, you can contact me)

Hey Hector, nice to see you here! Congratulations on your admission. Hoping to see you soon also. Good luck with moving to Germany and the preparations!

Hi, Sirius Mukari:

Sirius Mukari said:
Hey people,

Just got my confirmation from uni-assist that my application is complete and will be forwarded to Uni Leipzig, which is a big step to admission already!

How long did it take for you guys for the uni to respond? uni-assist says that it might take a few weeks.

I received that confirmation on June 26, and my letter of admission on July 25.

Sirius Mukari said:
Hey Hector, nice to see you here! Congratulations on your admission. Hoping to see you soon also. Good luck with moving to Germany and the preparations!

I hope to see you there, too.

Likes Sirius Mukari
Hey guys, look at what I found
https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/international/LeipzigGuide.pdf
It's a guide with all we should do once arriving in Leipzig and more.

My admission letter took a little over two weeks after my documents were received by the university.

Likes Doyeon Jin, Ahmed el tantawi and Sirius Mukari
PiaM said:
Hey guys, look at what I found
https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/international/LeipzigGuide.pdf
It's a guide with all we should do once arriving in Leipzig and more.

My admission letter took a little over two weeks after my documents were received by the university.
Such a good document! Gotta print it right away. Thanks!

Okay, so hopefully I'll get to hear from them in around 2-3 weeks. Exciting!

Likes PiaM
Hey guys! Uni assist forwarded my documents a week ago. So admission letter will probably come in the next week.so we should discuss once which dorms we are going to select. it's better to stay close. Also we can help each other out then. Also uni-assist took about 2 weeks to forward my documents.

gargi kodgirwar said:
Hey guys! Uni assist forwarded my documents a week ago. So admission letter will probably come in the next week.so we should discuss once which dorms we are going to select. it's better to stay close. Also we can help each other out then. Also uni-assist took about 2 weeks to forward my documents.
I'm applying for a room in a 3-6 bedroom flat in
Straße des 18 Oktober, Philipp-Rosenthal Straße and Tarostraße.
Those three residences are near the physics faculty of uni Leipzig (and where I suppose we'll have most of our classes)

Likes Doyeon Jin and Hector
PiaM said:
I'm applying for a room in a 3-6 bedroom flat in
Straße des 18 Oktober, Philipp-Rosenthal Straße and Tarostraße.
Those three residences are near the physics faculty of uni Leipzig (and where I suppose we'll have most of our classes)
Oooh very good.. i wish i could reserve any place.. i still haven't heard from them, except for a mail from them as i sent them again yesterday.. they said it still in process and i should wait still for a while! Fingers crossed!

Also, found this video:
This sums up the physics major and gives you a pretty good scope how and what will subjects in physics major include.. plus this YouTube channel is amazing.

Hector said:
Hey guys, check this out:
http://lostinleipzig.com/2012/08/wanna-live-rent-free-in-leipzig/
I know it's kind of extreme, with high upfront costs, and not without its risks. But what do you think? Would it be worth it?
Nope, they'd give you a completely empty room, and probably not in the best condition. You'd have to buy all the furniture by yourself and work constantly on the property.
Also, it might not be in the best location and far from any supermarkets or stores, as well as far from your classes.
It's too much effort that in my opinion is not worth it

Likes Doyeon Jin
Hello Gargi. It seems that we are from the same country. A problem that we all face here is with the visa application process. The problem is with the availability of appointment slots for visa interviews. I applied for this program quite early, and received my letter of admission on the 22nd of May. Despite of that, on the first of June, when I tried to book a visa appointment, I found out that the earliest available slot was on September 13! It seems that a large portion of applicants book appointments without receiving their admission letters, and most of them never cancel even if their plans change! I was really not expecting that. Immediately, I emailed the university, requesting them to allow me to enrol at a later date in case my visa does not arrive on time. They responded, saying that I cannot enrol after October 12. After that, I spent days, trying to reschedule my appointment, but it seems that very few people cancel their slots, so that I could reschedule to one of those slots. After refreshing hundreds of times over a few weeks, I finally found an empty slot on June 25. On July 20, I got my visa. I believe that I got lucky, in that I happened to check for slots at just the right moment. I have come across people who have had to stay back because of this. Be careful with the visa application process. Book a slot asap, if you haven't already. Good luck. I hope to see you in Leipzig.
gargi kodgirwar said:

Hey Manik thanks... actually I did like other students.i had booked my visa date way early. In fact today was my visa interview.it went well.so now just I need to wait for stamping. Hope to see you too!

I just*

In which university did you do your bachelor's..?
Manik Dawar said:
Hello Gargi. It seems that we are from the same country. A problem that we all face here is with the visa application process. The problem is with the availability of appointment slots for visa interviews. I applied for this program quite early, and received my letter of admission on the 22nd of May. Despite of that, on the first of June, when I tried to book a visa appointment, I found out that the earliest available slot was on September 13! It seems that a large portion of applicants book appointments without receiving their admission letters, and most of them never cancel even if their plans change! I was really not expecting that. Immediately, I emailed the university, requesting them to allow me to enrol at a later date in case my visa does not arrive on time. They responded, saying that I cannot enrol after October 12. After that, I spent days, trying to reschedule my appointment, but it seems that very few people cancel their slots, so that I could reschedule to one of those slots. After refreshing hundreds of times over a few weeks, I finally found an empty slot on June 25. On July 20, I got my visa. I believe that I got lucky, in that I happened to check for slots at just the right moment. I have come across people who have had to stay back because of this. Be careful with the visa application process. Book a slot asap, if you haven't already. Good luck. I hope to see you in Leipzig.

Hector said:
Hey guys, check this out:
http://lostinleipzig.com/2012/08/wanna-live-rent-free-in-leipzig/
I know it's kind of extreme, with high upfront costs, and not without its risks. But what do you think? Would it be worth it?
Probably a good idea if you are into that kind of living or love cheap stuff! But I think those apartments can be kinda unsafe as well. I recommend you pay up 200-300 euros for an apartment instead!

Doyeon Jin said:
If it was okay sending the SAT screenshot, why did you send the score through CollegeBoard?
I sent it as a precaution

did anyone get the admission letter from Almaweb the application was submitted on 6. June. 2018 and started on 25. Jun. 2018?

abdelrahman said:
did anyone get the admission letter from Almaweb the application was submitted on 6. June. 2018 and started on 25. Jun. 2018?
Nothing yet. Mine was received at the uni on the 31th of July! Only says that it's "received" when I look at the status.

Likes abdelrahman
abdelrahman said:
Same here! I guess they have vacations now so they are bit slow

Likes Sirius Mukari and abdelrahman
Ahmed el tantawi said:
Same here! I guess they have vacations now so they are bit slow
Some weeks ago I read on the website that the deadline for admission letters is the 25th of this month. So we will (hopefully) hear from them before that. If everything goes right, we have over a month of time to pack and prepare! So let's try to wait patiently.

Sirius Mukari said:
Some weeks ago I read on the website that the deadline for admission letters is the 25th of this month. So we will (hopefully) hear from them before that. If everything goes right, we have over a month of time to pack and prepare! So let's try to wait patiently.
I hope so! There is also the closed account procedures.. i can't start them before having the acceptance letter!

Ahmed el tantawi said:
I hope so! There is also the closed account procedures.. i can't start them before having the acceptance letter!
Indeed! The worst is that we can't apply for the apartments before we get the letter of admission.. I'm kinda nervous that all the best apartments are already taken by the time we can apply for them. But we got to stay positive!

Likes Ahmed el tantawi
Ahmed el tantawi said:

Since there are no German banks in my country, I took my chances and went with Fintiba. Crossing fingers.

Hector said:
Since there are no German banks in my country, I took my chances and went with Fintiba. Crossing fingers.
Don't worry! Fintiba is really safe and good. I have used it too. I also know some seniors in Germany who have used it. There is nothing to worry about it.

gargi kodgirwar said:
Don't worry! Fintiba is really safe and good. I have used it too. I also know some seniors in Germany who have used it. There is nothing to worry about it.
That's a relief. Thanks for sharing your experience. I just passed the interview in the embassy. So far so good.

Hector said:
I will use it too! Since we don't have german banks here too.