1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools International Physics Studies Program (IPSP) University of Leipzig program review?

Tags:
  1. Aug 5, 2017 #161
    Hi Chris
    I am an applicant from Peru, my documents were recieved on the 13th of july so I am waiting anxiously for the results. Anyways in case I am accepted I would definately try to get a place in the Studentwerk as a first option since it seems a safer option for me (Im 18 and never been in europe).
    For prep in general check the syllabus (http://www.uni-leipzig.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Physics_IPSP_BSc_23.04.15.pdf). Linear algebra is a must as well as some calculus, in addition I would recommend some propositional logic as well as proof techniques since it is university level math.
    Regarding physics first semester is all mechanics + waves( I would say mechanics only but idk if the "Waves" mentioned in the syllabus are not only mechanical :b), starting linking previous knowledge with calculus and revising concepts should be enough .
    Also practice your german, not only because you would be in germany but also because there is a compulsory german course for international students. I would recommend duolingo, it gets really in your head and is very useful.

On another note hope we all make it guys, good vibes. lml

2. Aug 10, 2017 #162
    Hi everyone,

I stumbled over this thread and thought it might be interesting for you to read my perspective, as I have graduated from the IPSP Bachelor's program about 5 years ago.

On the program: When I was a student, the program was indeed quite heavy on mathematics, if you compared it to other physics bachelor programs in Germany. I remember struggling quite a bit with it in the beginning and even thought of quitting at the time, but in retrospective a solid base in mathematics is a must-have if you want to do any kind of theoretical research later. As that has been my intention, I am quite thankful for what I have been taught in those many math courses. However, as far as I remember they decreased the amount of math in the curriculum. IMHO physics is at a point right now where it would make sense to have separate programs for experimental and mathematical physics already on bachelor's level with common theoretical physics curses. If you're more experimentally oriented (you're going to find out), mathematics will also help you, but of course your focus will be on different skills and many of those will be taught to you in the IPSP program. If you're more theoretically oriented, it might make more sense to get into a mathematics program where you have the option to acquire a good physics background, as well. But of course, the IPSP program will also open the door for you to go into theory - I just wanted to make that clear.

When I was a student, the overall atmosphere in the program was indeed quite international. It was also nice that there were less students than in the German physics program. This way things were more communal and there was more time to ask questions.

The city of Leipzig is also quite nice. There is a large party culture there, many places to go to, it's a very green city, not too big, not too small and there are also many international students. Leipzig has been growing quite rapidly for some years now, so I don't know how much the housing situation has changed. As an international student it's probably best to apply for student housing.

Now the not so nice things: From my experience life can get quite lonely when you're a foreign student and you neither speak the language nor do you actively try to get into the international communities. You definitely need to take care of one of these two. Also, the program is most likely still not easy and you will struggle quite a bit in the beginning. The good news is that it pays off later, the bad news is that it can lead you to quit. Try to stay ahead, try to solve the problems first on your own and then with others, do not be afraid to ask questions - provided you have thought about them for a bit and looked at the material given to you. You can do it, if you fight and it does get easier as your studies progress.

3. Aug 10, 2017 #163
    There are a few FB groups for flats in Leipzig, that seem quite good. I think it's possible to find nicer and cheaper WGs (furnished, communal living spaces) than the student halls offer. My documents got sent to University last week, so hopefully, I'll hear back pretty soon to start planning the move properly :) EDIT: just got the Admittance letter :)

btw, I've just created a FB group "IPSP 2017 Vault" *cooperation intensifies*

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Aug 10, 2017 #164
    Nice insights Geo_dude! If you don't mind me asking what was your path after graduating from IPSP? :)

5. Aug 13, 2017 #165
    No, I don't mind, I'm happy to share.

After graduating from Leipzig I went to Utrecht to specialize in particle physics. That, however, did not turn out too well. Before I came there I did not know much about quantum field theory, I only had a fairly good knowledge of quantum mechanics (for a graduate student). In Utrecht the emphasis of the teaching was put on doing complicated calculations fast (usually in quantum field theory), not so much on conceptual understanding as in Leipzig. That really put me off. I did not and, after learning a lot more, still do not believe that quantum field theory is a subject that one should teach to students in a "shut up and calculate"-manner. The theory is far from carved in stone and in many aspects mathematically not defined or even inconsistent. Being very unhappy with the situation, I decided to drop out and switch to math.

In retrospect, that was a great decision, but I had to surmount many different roadblocks because of it. I slowly quit going to my physics lectures and started going to math lectures. Unerstanding them definitely wasn't easy and I still had to get more aquainted with the mathematicians' (sometimes very indirect) way of thinking. I would probably have been able to get my math degree there with more time, but living and studying in the netherlands was expensive, so I decided to go back to Germany. After a period of unemployment and not-getting-admitted-to-math-master's programs in Berlin, which I spend researching in quantum theory, I was finally admitted to the math program at TU Berlin. At this point I have finished that program with a thesis in mathematical relativity and I am trying to get admitted to doing a PhD in mathematical physics (quantum theory).

I don't think I would have had the guts and the understanding to bypass the theoretical physicists in their own field, if it weren't for the solid education I received in Leipzig.

6. Aug 25, 2017 #166
    Yeap, high school grad too bruh, it seems as if a lot of the fellas applying have degrees already so we're gonna have some pretty good competition man!

7. Aug 25, 2017 #167
    Hello Y'all
    I got accepted in the program, if anyone has any questions, please fire away!

8. Aug 27, 2017 #168
    Hi everyone!
    I am Spanish applicant, also just graduated from high school. I am relieved to hear that the university has already started to inform applicants of their admission!
    My documents arrived on the 18th of July, and I couldn't be more eager to hear from them!
    How long did it take you to receive an answer? Thanks I advance!

9. Aug 29, 2017 #169
    Hi guys this is Krish , from India. Got my Visa, acceptance letter, accommodation in studentenwerk. Traveling on 30th September.

10. Aug 30, 2017 #170
    Hey, just found this thread. I'm also starting the ipsp for the winter semester 2017. I'm from South Africa and I'm a high school graduate but I've been on a sort of gap year. I've been in Berlin for a while and I'm going back to Berlin week so I can get prepared to go to Leipzig at the end of September.

11. Sep 14, 2017 #171
    Unfortunately I did not get accepted - I have the English language proficiency and everything and thought I did not had to apply for the Studienkolleg. Apparently my Brazilian high school diploma holds me back, and I still need to do an extra/preparatory year in German before the course. Aaaand I missed the deadline for that so now I have to wait another year. :/ I got really frustrated because Leipzig sounded kinda perfect for me. I hope you guys enjoy the course and keep updating this thread for future students :)

12. Nov 1, 2017 #172
    I am an Indian student currently studying in 12th Grade in ISC. I will be giving my boards on Feb 2018 and will be getting my results around May 2018.So when Should I apply and what is minimum criteria for admission?Do they just look at the board marks?If yes then what should be the marks in order to ensure you will get admission?

13. Nov 12, 2017 #173
    As far as I remember, you cannot directly apply for this program right after class 12th. You have to complete 1 year in any of the Indian colleges recognised in Germany and only then you can apply for this program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted