1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools International Physics Studies Program (IPSP) University of Leipzig program review?

Tags:
  1. May 30, 2018 #201
    Even if it's medicine? and by the way, what's the admission rate? and do they take your grades in these semesters into consideration?

2. May 30, 2018 #202
    I am not sure about the medicine part, and about the admission rate either. They did take my semester grades into consideration.

3. May 31, 2018 #203
    Hey, American students, in addition to ACT or SAT scores, what does your GPA have to be? Because the university says it does not have a GPA requirement but I’ve heard from many that it has to be a 3.00

4. Jun 3, 2018 #204
    If you go to this link on the DAAD database on admission requirements https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nac...7293-daad-database-on-admission-requirements/ it lets you know what credits and what grade minimums you need in each of those classes (at least for American students, I haven't checked for other countries if it is as detailed). But it looks like you need a minimum C average in most all classes, which is a 2.0 average I believe.

5. Jun 3, 2018 #205
    Hey Isaak!
    Once again, thanks for being so helpful. I saw that too and that seems to be the case. Let’s hope for the best! I’m applying next Monday

6. Jun 3, 2018 #206
    Yes, It should be 3.0 according to them.

7. Jun 3, 2018 #207
    How do I exactly apply for IPSP?
    I have applied electronically via uni assist already, but have heard back nothing.
    Do I need to pay application fee and send the application by post?
    It's confusing.

8. Jun 3, 2018 #208
    Yes, you definitely need to print out the application and send an official copy of all your papers to uni assist in Berlin. I think the address is on the university website but if you can’t find it I can definitely get it for you!

9. Jun 3, 2018 #209
    Is it "Universität Leipzig c/o uni-assist e. V. Geneststraße 5 10829 Berlin GERMANY?"

10. Jun 4, 2018 #210
    Yup!

11. Jun 5, 2018 #211
    do you know how long it would take for them to get back?

12. Jun 5, 2018 #212
    I would say it takes quite a while for uni assist to process maybe 4 weeks? And then they still have to send it to the university which will take probably another 1-2 weeks. It’s a lengthy process! It could be shorter or longer depending on many factors.

13. Jun 6, 2018 #213
    Do you know how to apply for residence permit? On the website, it says I have to go to some kind of office to apply within two weeks of the arrivial in Germany.

14. Jun 15, 2018 #214
    Hi, here is a link that will give you more information about how to get your residence permit. http://www.internationale-studierende.de/fragen_zur_vorbereitung/einreise/

the website is in German, but you can copy paste it into a translator if needed to read it in English. the page the link leads you to tells you about visa/permit.

15. Jun 24, 2018 #215
    Hey friends (new classmates)!

I'm currently applying for the IPSP WS 2018/19. This upcoming week I'll have my all documents assembled since my last translated document (the high school grade diploma) comes in mail from a certified translator. It's pretty exciting to see how things go; I really wish that we will all get in.

If anyone wants to know how I assembled my documents (I live in Finland, so if you are European, this might help):
    I didn't get those certified photocopies since I was able to get original documents from my school and the matriculation exam court. Honestly said, I have no idea how to get one of those, so I decided to pay a little more and get real documents instead.
    I sent the language certificate and the high school grades diploma to be translated, and the translation company combined those the translated and the original documents together with the certified translation stamps. My high school diploma translation could be ordered from the matriculation exam court, so I will send the original one and the translated one to uni-assist, both of which have the official stamp on them (since the document comes from the official matriculation court).

My country has the Abitur, so this process has been very easy. Also, as a European citizen, you don't need a visa or anything like that. Just remember to check that your passport hasn't expired when you are applying.

Also, since they require for you to send a passport picture, I took the photo at home and ordered copies of it from a printing company on photo paper, which cost me only 10% of the price I'd pay at a photo shop for taking my picture. Just a quick saving tip for you all!

I have studied German for 3 years now, and use it online very frequently, have German friends, also I have visited the country several times and have lived with a German family for a week (in NRW, not Sachsen. The dialect is different). I love Germany very much, the culture and the people, and wish to live there forever if my mind won't change. What helped me to get German into my brain was to change my OS language to German, both phone and PC. I suggest y'all do that too, it makes you learn fast, especially if you already know some German. It's not necessary to know German when taking this course, but it helps with communication and understanding when we navigate in Leipzig.

Is there any good literature on the math we'll be studying to be read before we all get to Leipzig? I took advanced maths at my high school and did the advanced maths matriculation exam, but I struggled a lot with calculus, especially the last super demanding courses. I tend to understand written text better than mathematical formulas that are abstract, which I would like to change.

Hope to see you all there, let's keep in touch. Sure we'll all be as lonely when we arrive to Leipzig! I plan to take the flight on the 27th of September.

16. Jun 24, 2018 #216
    Hi Sirius!
    I am an American student and I’m pretty much in your position. I also studied German for 3 years! I am currently awaiting for uni assist to receive my papers, and I am hopeful. Good luck to you in the application process and I hope I am able to see you there!
    -Yasmine

17. Jun 24, 2018 #217
    Hi Yasmine, nice to see you here!
    It's unfortunate how different European and American admission is there at Universität Leipzig and therefore I can't say a thing about your experience nor help, but I believe you've gotten it right with the documents. :) Perhaps tomorrow I will be able to send in the documents as well, so the wait begins for me, too! I'm sure you will get in, I think when it comes to German universities, most people get in since what you do during the course matters the most. So if we all study hard and help each other, we will be just fine! As long as we love physics, we can get anywhere in the STEM field when it comes to work and studies. So good to hear that you got some German knowledge as well, we should tutor each other! I believe that we will learn a lot of German when we actually live there, a human brain tends to absorb a language very fast when you get to hear it all day, every day.

18. Jun 24, 2018 #218
    Wow it’s nice to see someone who is very passionate about science going into this! I feel the same way, hopefully our love for physics will be enough to get us through the difficult math haha. I think we will all be able to learn German very fast and I am hopeful fosbthe

19. Jun 24, 2018 #219
    * for the future

20. Jun 24, 2018 #220
    Hey, since you went to school in US, I assume you submitted either ACT or SAT results.
    How did you certify it? Did you just printed a score report and took it to the local notary office?

21. Jun 24, 2018 #221
    I actually just gave it as is because the ACT results seem pretty official anyways, hopefully that was not a mistake!

22. Jun 24, 2018 #222
    Oh ok, so did you just print the score report from ACT website and sent it?

23. Jun 25, 2018 #223
    Yup! I know of others who did the same so no worries

24. Jun 25, 2018 #224
    Dear Doyeon,
    Have you heard anything from Uni assist yet? I sent it to this address and have heard nothing and I’m getting worried

25. Jun 25, 2018 #225
    Yes, I got a confirmation email saying that they received some of my required documents. I sent it a while ago, and just got the email like a few days ago lol.
    They are slow. Don't worry, they should send you the confirmation of receipt email sooner or later.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted