Sid's Journey to IPSP at University of Leipzig

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
sid0123
Hello everyone,
My name is Sid and I am about to finish my engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering. Hopefully, I will be graduating with an Upper Second Honors. I am interested to study Physics now, specifically Theoretical HEP. I have decided to apply to IPSP (Internatioanl Physics Studies Program) at University of Leipzig (Universitaet Leipzig). I have few questions in my mind before applying:

1. As University of Leipzig is not very well known and not a well reputed name in Physics, does this mean that the quality of the program they teach will be bad?
2. If I graduate from a very low ranked university, would that decrease my chances of getting into the top ranked graduate schools?
3. If anyone has graduated from University of Leipzig or is a current student there, kindly tell the the situation over there. As in how is the Physics department at the university and how satisfactory is the program.

Likes Anvesh Raje and into_the_sky
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I have the same intention as Sid, I am going to apply to International Physics Study Program in Leipzip. If someone have any infomation or experience studying here, tell us please

Hey, I've contacted few people who are enrolled in the course. I asked the same questions to them.
As far as the rankings are concerned, according to them, there are no such rankings of universities i.e. all universities are more or less at the same level. The difference lies in the amount of funding they receive from the state. According to DAAD (which is German Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst i.e. The German Academic Exchange Service), "There is no "best university", neither in one subject and certainly not across all subjects. What Germany offers instead is a multidimensional ranking, considering various criteria like student and staff judgments on quality of teaching, atmosphere at the university, library and other equipment, student numbers, average study duration, number of graduations, third party funding etc."
One such table that compares the strength and weaknesses based of the mentioned considerations is CHE-Rankings.
Here is the link: http://ranking.zeit.de/che2014/en/

And talking about the quality of the program, according to one of the guy who did his Bachelors (IPSP) and is now pursuing Masters (IPSP), lot of students find this course very difficult than their expectation and a lot of them drop out after the first semester. I also read somewhere that there is lot of Maths in the first two years compared to other universities. So, I think although the program is very easy to get in, it must be really good :)

Hi sid,

I'm glad to hear these infomation from you. I am a first-year student from Viet Nam and will apply for IPSP soon. I have also seen many positive comments about the program (including from you), which made me more determined to enroll. Will you apply for the bachelor or the master program?

btw, "a lot of students find this course very difficult than their expectation and a lot of them drop out after the first semester." I find these words so tempting. Thank you :D

Likes Isaac-Einstien
Haha me too. The difficulty of this course is what is attracting me the most! I am going to apply for the Bachelors IPSP. What about you?

Likes DeBangis21 and sanaaa
It seemed that we both share the same interest. I will apply for Bachelors IPSP too. Have you prepared the application document yet?

No, I have to take IELTS next month. Rest all the documents are complete :)

Anyone noticed that the IPSP Page is not currently working? I need to confirm the list of required documents, but do not know where to find it...

I don't know if you guys are still following this post or not, but I'm actually a student in the IPSP program, 2nd semester, so I can add my own comments to this :) it is true that it has been quite a lot of maths so far, but this isn't the actual problem. The problem is that Theoretical physics is taught from the very first semester and the physics lecturers (both experimental and theoretical) don't really care if they use maths that hasn't been covered yet. In other words, you will spend a whole semester wondering about what the hell is going on and then (hopefully) have it clarified in the very end when the subject actually comes up in maths. This may also happen in the following semester or possibly not at all.
Although I've never studied abroad (I'm German), I feel that in this course you encounter a quite specific german mentality which applies to all "hard sciences". The responsibility for your studies is entirely yours. Lecturers only feel obliged to give you the material, what you do with that is your thing. Their lectures might be based on knowledge you don't have yet, the lab experiments might deal with topics that weren't covered, the teaching assistants might be quite unhelpful and in some cases not really fit to teach or they might simply fail to design exercises in a way that they are solvable (yes, seriously). But the general attitude will be that they simply do not care. If you want to learn, you will put up with it, otherwise you can leave. Some of my course mates have studied physics in other countries (USA, Turkey...) before and they have confirmed that it did not really prepare them for this. However, most have passed the first exams with decent grades and are getting along fine, with some hard work of course.
In the end, I want to emphasize that I don't want to discourage anyone from doing the IPSP program. It can be really challenging and to some extent also draining, but so far I feel like it gives you excellent preparation for your later career in physics. Looking back, I learned more in half a year than I ever could have imagined possible and it is extremely satisfying to look back and see how far you've come.
Also, this might not be a good argument to base your study choice on, but I feel that it might make a difference for some: half of our course are actually girls, which is exceptional for physics at a german university ;) oh, and Leipzig is really cool and super cheap (so far) by middle-european standards so you can at least afford to comfort-eat yourself into oblivion if things don't go as planned ;)

Likes WWGD, Manik Dawar, lh9713 and 1 other person
Lexy173 said:
I don't know if you guys are still following this post or not, but I'm actually a student in the IPSP program, 2nd semester, so I can add my own comments to this :) it is true that it has been quite a lot of maths so far, but this isn't the actual problem. The problem is that Theoretical physics is taught from the very first semester and the physics lecturers (both experimental and theoretical) don't really care if they use maths that hasn't been covered yet. In other words, you will spend a whole semester wondering about what the hell is going on and then (hopefully) have it clarified in the very end when the subject actually comes up in maths. This may also happen in the following semester or possibly not at all.
Although I've never studied abroad (I'm German), I feel that in this course you encounter a quite specific german mentality which applies to all "hard sciences". The responsibility for your studies is entirely yours. Lecturers only feel obliged to give you the material, what you do with that is your thing. Their lectures might be based on knowledge you don't have yet, the lab experiments might deal with topics that weren't covered, the teaching assistants might be quite unhelpful and in some cases not really fit to teach or they might simply fail to design exercises in a way that they are solvable (yes, seriously). But the general attitude will be that they simply do not care. If you want to learn, you will put up with it, otherwise you can leave. Some of my course mates have studied physics in other countries (USA, Turkey...) before and they have confirmed that it did not really prepare them for this. However, most have passed the first exams with decent grades and are getting along fine, with some hard work of course.
In the end, I want to emphasize that I don't want to discourage anyone from doing the IPSP program. It can be really challenging and to some extent also draining, but so far I feel like it gives you excellent preparation for your later career in physics. Looking back, I learned more in half a year than I ever could have imagined possible and it is extremely satisfying to look back and see how far you've come.
Also, this might not be a good argument to base your study choice on, but I feel that it might make a difference for some: half of our course are actually girls, which is exceptional for physics at a german university ;) oh, and Leipzig is really cool and super cheap (so far) by middle-european standards so you can at least afford to comfort-eat yourself into oblivion if things don't go as planned ;)
Thank you so much for your insight. I was waiting for an honest and detailed review of the program. I am sure that on one hand it might seem an uphill task for a foreign student to cope with so much pressure in the first semester itself, on the other hand I feel that this grilling will surely give him an edge over students at other universities because ultimately teachers won't be there with you for your lifetime and this method will surely make him self-reliant.
I even had my application submitted to the university for the program but due to family reasons I had a change in the plan. Thanks again for the information.
Best of luck :)

Guilherme_Mend said:
Anyone noticed that the IPSP Page is not currently working? I need to confirm the list of required documents, but do not know where to find it...
Hey Guilherme, you should better contact the course buddy.His email address is buddy@physik.uni-leipzig.de.
As far as I remember, following are the documents you require:
1. Your passport size photograph.
2. Previous year certificate and transcripts.
3. English language proof (Minimum B2 Level)

You have to submit the online application at uni-assist and pay a small registration fees. After that you have to take a printout of the application form and along with verified above mentioned documents, you have to send by post to uni-assist.

I hope that helps.

Hey Guys , I am Indian and still studing in grade 9 but I am interested in cosmology , space research and also Physics . Can anyone of you tell me what must be my %age in 10th & 12th ( non medical ) to choose physics as my carrer ?

Lexy173 said:

Dear Lexy,

Thank you for giving better insight about the Bachelor-IPSP. I have already applied for the IPSP and I am going to enrol in 3rd semester directly, which means I would be studying with you from this winter. I have done B.Eng (Hon) Electronic Engineering and MSc in Nanoelectronics and Nanomechanics from the United Kingdom. The IPSP would give me physics background in order to find a PhD in field of condensed matter physics. I have already done applied physics, however my intension to join is to comprehend the theoretical side of physics. After reading your post I feel that so far I have made right choice.

As you know I would be skipping first and second semester, so do you have any advice for me before joining the 3rd Semester?

Danke während Ihrer Zeit.

Kind Regards,
Anvesh Raje

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone who has applied for the winter semester for IPSP has had their uni-assit application processed?

I live in america and here university starts at the end of august, IPSP says on their website that they usually send decisions around that time. I'm afraid that they may send me a decision after university here starts.

calculo2718 said:
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone who has applied for the winter semester for IPSP has had their uni-assit application processed?

I live in america and here university starts at the end of august, IPSP says on their website that they usually send decisions around that time. I'm afraid that they may send me a decision after university here starts.
hi guys, I have the same question ?? did anyone receive an acceptance letter ?

I still haven't and I applied almost 10 days ago. But I'm pretty sure that we will hear some news in the beginning of August.

Hello everyone , I have received the admission letter from the university for the IPSP bachelors and I am from India.

Likes Kalyani sharma and Muskovite
Rohan Kulkarni said:
Hello everyone , I have received the admission letter from the university for the IPSP bachelors and I am from India.
Congratulations! When did you apply?

Last edited:
I had applied on 24 th of April!
I got an confirmation on 17 th june!

Isaac-Einstien said:
Hey Guys , I am Indian and still studing in grade 9 but I am interested in cosmology , space research and also Physics . Can anyone of you tell me what must be my %age in 10th & 12th ( non medical ) to choose physics as my carrer ?

Hey Issac-Einstein, You seem a fellow Indian. There are many criterias and exams for pursuing Physics as a career option. You can Private message me if you want. I could help you straighting up your path :)

Muskovite said:
Congratulations! When did you apply?

I got a confirmation from Leipzig, I applied on the 8-th of June and received my letter of acceptance yesterday.

hello , i am a physics student from venezuela , due to the current situation of venezuela , the university i was studying at is closed indefinitely , so i am considering the possibility of applying to this program ,however as some of you may know , venezuelans don't have access to foreing currencies , so i was wondering , how much would i need to spend in order to apply ?

gerardofingurbe said:
hello , i am a physics student from venezuela , due to the current situation of venezuela , the university i was studying at is closed indefinitely , so i am considering the possibility of applying to this program ,however as some of you may know , venezuelans don't have access to foreing currencies , so i was wondering , how much would i need to spend in order to apply ?
It's 75 euros plus the cost to ship the documents to Germany. In America, FedEx charged me a little over $57. Just so you know application deadline is September 15 for the 2015 winter semester.

Hello friends
I have got admission in the IPSP Physics Program of University of Leipzig. I have completed Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the last year. Therefore, I want to start from the third semester of the IPSP Bachelor Program at University of Leipzig. But when I applied for the admission I applied for the first semester. Because I was informed that I have to apply for the first semester and after going to Leipzig I can enroll for the third semester. Did you follow the same procedure or you applied for the third semester when you applied? In my Engineering Undergraduate program I have very good grade in all the Physics and Mathematics courses. Would you please give me an idea about what I have to do to enroll for the third semester? Will I just tell them that I want to enroll for the third semester and submit my undergraduate transcript?

Thanks to all :)

i couldn't apply this year , i am thinking about applying next year , i just couldn't get enough dollars to apply , and didn't feel like asking my parents for money:C

Rohan Kulkarni said:
Hi, after uni-assist forwarded your application to leipzig, did you do anything? Or did you just continue waiting to receive an acceptance?

thanks!

Likes xatwik
calculo2718 said:
Hi, after uni-assist forwarded your application to leipzig, did you do anything? Or did you just continue waiting to receive an acceptance?

thanks!
Hey there, I've applied for the IPSP-program at uni leipzig and got accepted after the administration at the university looked through my documents, So I can provide some information which could be helpful to you. For me, after uni-assist forwarded my application to leipzig university, they provided me with an Alma-Web account, which basically is your next platform on which you will receive further news regarding your application. Usually uni-assist transfer all of your handed-in documents directly to your almaweb account. From there, the university will look into your documents and make the final decision, but most likely you will be accepted because the course is admission free. That means that you don't really have to do much unless they ask for further documents. Make sure you check your AlmaWeb account regularly for new information regarding your application. When you are accepted, you'll receive an email in which you are provided with your uni-login account.
I hope this helped, and good luck with your application!

did you send documents to the university of did you scanned them and emailed them ?

gerardofingurbe said:
did you send documents to the university of did you scanned them and emailed them ?
Once uni-assist processed my documents, they put them directly onto my Alma-Web portal. The university has direct acess to this portal, and can therefore process them through almaweb. However, under "my documents" in my almaweb account, I had to sign a piece of paper confirming my application and send it to the university. So once uni-assist has forwarded your documents to the alma-web portal, all you have to do is sign this paper and send it to the university.
Hope this helped.

beasteye said:
Hey there, I've applied for the IPSP-program at uni leipzig and got accepted after the administration at the university looked through my documents, So I can provide some information which could be helpful to you. For me, after uni-assist forwarded my application to leipzig university, they provided me with an Alma-Web account, which basically is your next platform on which you will receive further news regarding your application. Usually uni-assist transfer all of your handed-in documents directly to your almaweb account. From there, the university will look into your documents and make the final decision, but most likely you will be accepted because the course is admission free. That means that you don't really have to do much unless they ask for further documents. Make sure you check your AlmaWeb account regularly for new information regarding your application. When you are accepted, you'll receive an email in which you are provided with your uni-login account.
I hope this helped, and good luck with your application!

Thanks so much for the useful information!

Hello all! I am Yoshio (Yo-show). I've been out of the game (school) going on 2 years now. If you'd like to talk about that we can, but I'd like to know if my not going to a college/uni here in the USA would mean I simply can't attend or just hurt my chances of being accepted into Leipzig. Note that I will also email the buddy thing. Danke!

For those who were admitted, did your secondary school transcripts need to be attested/sent in a sealed envelope/similar procedure? I have my secondary school transcripts/mark sheets, but they are not in a sealed envelope (although it may not matter)

Also, I was planning to enroll in the B.Sc. Physics program at my local university and then apply to University of Leipzig after 1 year (I would start as a first semester student still). Does anyone know if this is frowned upon? I wanted to prepare myself first, particularly in mathematics.