Sid's Journey to IPSP at University of Leipzig

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
Hello. I'm going to apply as soon as my A levels come out
Here are the documents I'll apply with:
A level results
Gcse results
IELTS
GERMAN A1
LETTER OF MOTIVATION
CV
Are these enough for me to get admission? I skipped letter of recommendation. Is it okay? Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Sibasish said:
Hello. I'm going to apply as soon as my A levels come out
Here are the documents I'll apply with:
A level results
Gcse results
IELTS
GERMAN A1
LETTER OF MOTIVATION
CV
Are these enough for me to get admission? I skipped letter of recommendation. Is it okay? Please help me
You don't all of this from what I remember.

https://www.physgeo.uni-leipzig.de/en/study/international-physics-ipsp/bachelor-ipsp/

This link has all the documents to be handed in through uni-assist

Hi everyone .
i am almost done filling my application for the ipsp program and i have a questions .
i have finished my secondary school studies with a percentage of 90% .

I've finished an academic year in my home country in general engineering successfully with an overall percentage of 67% (i didnt study my first semester duo to family issues which i don't think the university should or will care about lol).

And i have an IELTS score of band 7 and a toefl pbt of 92 .
so my question is , compared to other accepted applicants and the university's criteria does these scores secure my acceptance or not ? .
i am asking because if these scores do secure a spot on the program i have some alternative decisions that i need to make in the current time period that i would probably won,t in case i do get rejected .
i hope i get an answer to my questions quick thanks allot .

Mohammed issa said:
Hi everyone .
i am almost done filling my application for the ipsp program and i have a questions .
i have finished my secondary school studies with a percentage of 90% .

I've finished an academic year in my home country in general engineering successfully with an overall percentage of 67% (i didnt study my first semester duo to family issues which i don't think the university should or will care about lol).

And i have an IELTS score of band 7 and a toefl pbt of 92 .
so my question is , compared to other accepted applicants and the university's criteria does these scores secure my acceptance or not ? .
i am asking because if these scores do secure a spot on the program i have some alternative decisions that i need to make in the current time period that i would probably won,t in case i do get rejected .
i hope i get an answer to my questions quick thanks allot .

Hi! There shouldn't be any problems with your English certificate, as for your grades it depends on your country and the requirements for applying to a German university, if you looked it up and saw that your certificates are equivalent to the Abitur then ypu shouldn't have any problems and be accepted.
Ipsp is a free admission program, meaning that if you meet all the requirements you'll be accepted.
Good luck!

PiaM said:
Hi! There shouldn't be any problems with your English certificate, as for your grades it depends on your country and the requirements for applying to a German university, if you looked it up and saw that your certificates are equivalent to the Abitur then ypu shouldn't have any problems and be accepted.
Ipsp is a free admission program, meaning that if you meet all the requirements you'll be accepted.
Good luck!
the requirements for my country and i quote "Secondary School Certificate" and "successfully completing an academic year in the same subject or related subject" and i check both, they didn't refer to a minimum gpa or anything like , so do you think that should qualify me ? .
thanks for the quick response

Mohammed issa said:
the requirements for my country and i quote "Secondary School Certificate" and "successfully completing an academic year in the same subject or related subject" and i check both, they didn't refer to a minimum gpa or anything like , so do you think that should qualify me ? .
You shouldn't have any problems then (:
All that is left now is doing the paper work to get here

Mohammed issa said:
You seem to be from Egypt my man.. contact me in messages if you need anything as I've gone through all the same procedures but, as pia told you.. you should be fine

Rohan Kulkarni said:
Hello everyone , I have received the admission letter from the university for the IPSP bachelors and I am from India.
hi Rohan Kulkarni,
hello rohan congrats on getting admission:) for IPSP (sorry i am a little late). i was willing to ask you a few question currently i am studying in the 10th grade in India and i had a few questions in mind to join IPSP bachelors program. I hope you reply to them :)

1) did you complete Joint Entrance Exams JEE mains and advanced to get admission for the program?
2)from which board (HSC,ISC,AISCE[IGCSE],IB) did you complete in 11th and 12th grade?
3) the admission and procedure for IPSP you went through?
(so i know what path to take nothing personal)

I am very eager to join a physics college such as Leipzig university and i would love your response and would be waiting for it. as it would help me drastically in my college life. i hope you understand i would be more than happy for your response.
Thank you,

greetings I've got an email from uni assist today saying that i don't have German proficiency proof for the studenkolleg even though i applied for direct enrollment with two academic engineering semesters and the university website does not state any German language requirements or the necessity of completing a prep course if you have two academic semester , does anyone have an idea regarding this or had the same issues i contacted uni assist and waiting for a response .

Greets, I am from Ukraine and going to attend Physics International Programme in Leipzig in September 2020 (sad, but physics is close to dead in my country). Have a few questions:

- what is the way of sending TOEFL scores? Do I have to actually receive the original report and send its certified copy as a part of the whole package, or purchasing the report for recipient is enough? Who is the receiver -- Uni-Assist or Leipzig University?

- Buddy says only the required docs are to be sent. Is the program actually non-competitive? Do additional documents strengthen the application?

- financial matter: as I see I will need 8640 EUR for 1 year to obtain a visa, or 720 EUR/mth. This is a common Germany number, so should be > than OK for East Germany, right? What about the next years -- can I obtain some scholarships during studies (Physics is not business studies, but a subject one has to fully concentrate on, not working in parallel)?

- what about average English level in Leipzig? I am going to fully concentrate on Physics/Math for a year, perhaps learning very-very basic German, but not that much.

- does anyone know any English-taught BSc in Physics in Europe, relatively affordable (so not England)? I've already been accepted into private Jacobs University for 2019, but that was far too expensive (and for 2020 I will prefer Leipzig -- it looks more fundamental and nature-oriented, which is exactly how I see myself)

Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone, I searched a lot and found that there are only 2 physics undergraduate level English study courses in Germany. (This might not be true and if I have missed any, please let me know.) First is IPSP Physics at Leipzig and another is Physics advanced at FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg. We all know about the first on this forum, but the latter(FAU Erlangen) is what I am asking information for. Can anyone give me a review for that course, please? I want to apply to both of them but I don't know how good is the program as there is no forum on it.

Nisarg3 said:
Hi everyone, I searched a lot and found that there are only 2 physics undergraduate level study courses in Germany. (This might not be true and if I have missed any, please let me know.) First is IPSP Physics at Leipzig and another is Physics advanced at FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg. We all know about the first on this forum, but the latter(FAU Erlangen) is what I am asking information for. Can anyone give me a review for that course, please? I want to apply to both of them but I don't know how good is the program as there is no forum on it.
It is a 4 year fast-track program that gives you bachelor's and master's degree at the end.

Nisarg3 said:
Hi everyone, I searched a lot

Hello, you may look at JU program as well.
The complicated thing is them being a private uni, so the tuition is exceedingly large: 26000 EUR (20k -- room, 6k -- board, living on campus)/year. I obtained the maximum help of 20k (excluding room), but had to decline for the rest.
Also you should sign Early Decision only if it's your top choice, I had just signed it and later realized I could not study there (but they allowed me to break the agreement). For the next year I will prefer Leipzig, though: looks very fundamental.
But I think it can be at least given a try (but together with some other choices). :)

Abdul Muhaymin said:
Is there anyone applying in 2019 winter semester? I'm going to apply for IPSP bachelor this semester and I'm looking for a fellow applicant. I've already uploaded all the required documents in uni-assist. The application phase hasn't started yet. I'm not sure what to do after submitting the online application. How should I send the printed document to the university admission office? by airmail like DHL or just scanned copy to the mail address of course buddy?
Hey,I'm also wanting to apply for the same but I exactly don't know what documents to upload besides secondary school certificate and English proficiency certificate. It would be of great help if someone could guide us through this.

Hey in IPSP uni assist application, there's some questions under the topic called "general questions about the university" . In there they ask something about if we want to take the Feststellungsprüfung/Studienkolleg. Do you know what options to select? I already finished high school and I have advanced level certificates, language certificates (IELTS) , school leaving certificates, and a passport photo. Is there anything missing here? And should I apply to the Feststellungsprüfung? Please help me out. Thanks :)

hi i am from India and applied for IPSP at uni leipzig through uni assist they sent an email yesterday confirming that they have received my documents but the application status says that the processing has not yet started. is it ok or something is wrong?

Please help!

Ankan Biswas said:
hi i am from India and applied for IPSP at uni leipzig through uni assist they sent an email yesterday confirming that they have received my documents but the application status says that the processing has not yet started. is it ok or something is wrong?

Please help!
Yes this is normal. They would usually inform you when they receive the documents. Processing would start after 4 to 6 weeks from the day they received the handling fees.

Suv8 said:
Yes this is normal. They would usually inform you when they receive the documents. Processing would start after 4 to 6 weeks from the day they received the handling fees.
how to send the handling fees?? is the application fee, the handling fee?

Ankan Biswas said:
Is this the fee(75 euros)which I have submitted after submitting my application via uni assist portal ?..Thanks a lot for your help.
Once you submit your application electronically via uni assist, you should pay that 75 euros.

Hallo!
I see that lot of you guys are applying for ipsp at Leipzig Universität. I'm also applying this upcoming winter semester19/20 . But I still couldn't decide upon whether I should do a physics major in English or in German. (I've applied to other german bachelors' in physics as well.)

1. So it'd be really nice if you guys could tell me why you are applying for this specific program in Leipzig. Like, what are some of the special trait/merits about this program that brings you all the way to Leipzig.

2. And what are your future plans after this program? Going back to your country and study more? Or to explore more opportunities in Germany or perhaps in Europe/world?

Thanks in advance :)

Nisarg3 said:
Hi everyone, I searched a lot and found that there are only 2 physics undergraduate level English study courses in Germany. (This might not be true and if I have missed any, please let me know.) First is IPSP Physics at Leipzig and another is Physics advanced at FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg. We all know about the first on this forum, but the latter(FAU Erlangen) is what I am asking information for. Can anyone give me a review for that course, please? I want to apply to both of them but I don't know how good is the program as there is no forum on it.
Hello there,
I looked up the undergrad program at FAU Erlangen and saw no physics program in English. Yes I saw an english-taught physics program in Master's but not in Bachelor's. It's possible that I'm wrong, but you might want to check it out again!

I'll leave a link below. It's the list of programs taught entirely in english at FAU Erlangen.
https://www.fau.de/studium/vor-dem-...ngaenge/rein-englischsprachige-studiengaenge/

Suv8 said:
Hey in IPSP uni assist application, there's some questions under the topic called "general questions about the university" . In there they ask something about if we want to take the Feststellungsprüfung/Studienkolleg. Do you know what options to select? I already finished high school and I have advanced level certificates, language certificates (IELTS) , school leaving certificates, and a passport photo. Is there anything missing here? And should I apply to the Feststellungsprüfung? Please help me out. Thanks :)

About the FSP/Studienkolleg) You can select it, but it won't affect your submission if you're already eligable for an admission for ipsp.

If your secondary education proves to be insufficient for the application for universities in Germany, then yes, they will inform you that you will need to go through the FSP(Feststellungsprüfung).

About the documents) Also, if you have a document for 'college admission test' throw that in as well. If your country doesn't provide such 'college admission test', I think your documents are enough for the application. And if not, uni-assist will contact you via Email, which documents you need to add. So it'd be better if you apply before the deadline :)

Alex19 said:
About the FSP/Studienkolleg) You can select it, but it won't affect your submission if you're already eligable for an admission for ipsp.

If your secondary education proves to be insufficient for the application for universities in Germany, then yes, they will inform you that you will need to go through the FSP(Feststellungsprüfung).

About the documents) Also, if you have a document for 'college admission test' throw that in as well. If your country doesn't provide such 'college admission test', I think your documents are enough for the application. And if not, uni-assist will contact you via Email, which documents you need to add. So it'd be better if you apply before the deadline :)
Hey thank you for the information and yes I filled those fields right and applied a few weeks ago. Did you already apply? And when did you apply?

Suv8 said:
Hey thank you for the information and yes I filled those fields right and applied a few weeks ago. Did you already apply? And when did you apply?
I didn't apply yet. My IELTS results comes out at the beginning of July, so I'd be able to apply only then. I just already know the application process in Germany :)

Alex19 said:
I didn't apply yet. My IELTS results comes out at the beginning of July, so I'd be able to apply only then. I just already know the application process in Germany :)
Oh I see. I wish you luck! :)

Likes Alex19
Alex19 said:
Hallo!
So it'd be really nice if you guys could tell me why you are applying for this specific program in Leipzig. Like, what are some of the special trait/merits about this program that brings you all the way to Leipzig.

Greetings! I am applying to IPSP (for 2020) since it is the only affordable English-taught Physics programme in Europe (I am from Ukraine) I have found, aside from Jacobs University Bremen programme (JU gives you a generous fin. package, but it still does not cover everything).

The course also looks quite fundamental (I do not see probability theory and relativity here, but they must be).
And I liked the comments here.

Hey is there anyone who is doing to this year's ipsp degree? I'm starting my ipsp in this winter semester.

Suv8 said:
Hey is there anyone who is doing to this year's ipsp degree? I'm starting my ipsp in this winter semester.
ye i am starting this winter semester as well , just reached leipzig three days ago beautiful city

Mohammed issa said:
ye i am starting this winter semester as well , just reached leipzig three days ago beautiful city
Nice to meet you! how did you find the accommodation?

Is anyone here applying for 2020 IPSP...

nikhil_naruto said:
Is anyone here applying for 2020 IPSP...
Ya i am thinking of applying next year
Where are you from?

Hi guys, I’m thinking of applying for the IPSP Physics Bachelors for 2020. I will do it next year. I’m from Singapore and I’ve graduated with the IB Diploma. How hard would it be for me to get admitted into Leipzig?

As I understand it, I have to submit an application through uni-assist and then, send a copy of the entire application package to Leipzig? Would it be possible for me to use the service by IBO in order to send originals of my grades to them?