Why are my internet browsers not working on my computer?

• Thread starter Willis666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of being unable to open certain internet browsers, such as Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, due to the Data Execution Prevention feature on modern CPUs and operating systems. The person suggests checking for malware and being cautious about browser plugins, as they may be the cause of the problem. Additionally, they mention having multiple browsers, including Firefox, Avant, and Orca, that they use frequently without any issues. They also mention being able to turn off Data Execution Prevention in the Control Panel, but warn against just ignoring the problem.
Willis666
Yesterday, I got home after school and turned on my computer. I tried to open Mozilla Firefox, and it told me something about Data Execution Prevention. Then I tried opening Google Chrome. I would get the loading mouse for about 3 seconds, and nothing would happen. After that, I tried Opera. Opera did the same thing as Chrome. Finally, I reluctantly opened Internet Explorer, which worked. I even tried downloading Safari, which didn't work. Is Windows barring me from using non IE internet browsers?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It has nothing to do with Windows. I have (on two separate computers) Windows XP and Windows 7. On both I have several browsers, including Firefox and Chrome, and have no problem opening them. I don't know what to advise you, except checking for viruses, restarting, etc.

For your information, I use Firefox, Avant, and Orca (the last is obsolescent) most frequently.

Data Execution Prevention is a feature built into modern CPUs and operating systems (Mac and Linux as well as Windows) to help prevent malware attacks. You can switch it off it you like (open the Control Panel then the System applet), but that's just pretending the problem doesn't exist rather than fixing it.

Most likely, you have some malware on your PC - possibly a "bad" web browswer plugin that is affecting all your browsers except IE. Most browsers use the same interface for plugins, except for IE which is completely different.

Uninstall/reinstallyour browsers and be more careful about what plugins you use.

Some freeware will add it's own plugins to your browser too if you're not careful o uncheck options (or some just won't let you install without the plugin)

There could be several reasons for why your internet browsers are not working. One possibility is that there may be a compatibility issue with your operating system and the browsers you are trying to use. Data Execution Prevention is a security feature in Windows that helps prevent malicious code from executing. It is possible that this feature is causing issues with Firefox and Chrome. Another possibility is that there may be a problem with the installation or configuration of the browsers. It is also possible that there may be an issue with your internet connection or network settings. I would recommend checking for any updates or patches for your operating system and browsers, as well as making sure your internet connection is stable. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to contact technical support for further assistance.

What causes internet browsers to stop working?

There are several reasons why internet browsers may stop working. Some common causes include network connectivity issues, outdated browser versions, corrupt browser settings, malware or viruses, and conflicts with other software or extensions.

How can I troubleshoot internet browser issues?

The first step in troubleshooting internet browser issues is to check your network connection and make sure it is working properly. If the issue persists, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, updating to the latest version, and disabling any extensions or add-ons that may be causing conflicts.

Why do some websites not load on my browser?

There are a few reasons why certain websites may not load on your browser. It could be due to compatibility issues with your browser, server issues on the website's end, or errors in the website's code. It's also possible that the website is blocked by your internet service provider or firewall.

How can I prevent my internet browser from crashing?

To prevent your internet browser from crashing, make sure to regularly clear your browsing history, cache, and cookies. It's also important to keep your browser and operating system up to date, and avoid opening too many tabs or running too many programs at once.

What should I do if my internet browser is still not working?

If your internet browser is still not working after troubleshooting, try using a different browser to see if the issue is specific to one browser. You can also try resetting your browser to its default settings or contacting your internet service provider for further assistance.