Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internet. Hmm.

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    My friend has a problem. He has a computer that has one working internet and his other computer's internet is down. They are in seperate rooms but are connected by an extension cord. They are both connected to the same modem, any ideas why one is working and the other isnt? (They share the same internet connection)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) I wasn't aware modems (I assume you mean cable or DSL) could support more than one computer.

2) You ought to tell us what kind of "extension cord" you're talking about. USB? Ethernet?

3) You ought to tell us what kind of modem he's using. Surboard? What model?

4) Did this configuration work in the past and then stop working, or is he trying to set it up for the first time?

- Warren

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Something wrong with the router?

5. Aug 30, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Aug 30, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm wondering if he doesn't have a router at all, and is trying to connect two computers to the same modem, one via ethernet and one via USB or something...

- Warren

7. Aug 30, 2004 #6
    Yeah, it's a DSL.

- A USB cord.

- Speedtouch is all he could find

- It worked in the past, he says.

He's also wondering if Norton Systemworks kills the internet?

8. Aug 30, 2004 #7

How does he check to try and reset the router by turning it off?

9. Aug 30, 2004 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay so he has some Speedtouch device which includes a firewall and hub along with the modem itself.

Has one of the computers been moved? It's possible his USB cord is too long and is not able to serve the long distance between the PC and modem. Perhaps he should consider using ethernet instead, if his particular Speedtouch device supports it.

Has anything else changed in his configuration? Most problems like this occur when something is moved, upgraded, or re-configured in some way.

- Warren

10. Aug 31, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could be, just turn the software off and he'll find out.

I'm not sure what your question was about the router, but modems and routers reset themselves when you take power off of them for 30 secs. It's worth the effort locating both the modem and the router and see what's going on.

11. Sep 18, 2004 #10
    Don't get the internet it wastes your time
    lol
    god I really do waste a lot of time online though
    speaking of which
    bed time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?