Internet malfunction

Main Question or Discussion Point

I can't seem to download anything. I'm using IE and I'm trying to download Chrome but there's always a corruption error and the same thing happens when I try to download Mozilla. It's also happened when I tried to download dev c++ and I have no idea what is going on. Pleeeeeaaaase help.

Answers and Replies

It's not fully downloading the files by the sound of it.

Some browsers are set to clear the cache on close - mine is - and if I close the browser whilst the download is in progress or if I set the download to run automatically and then close the browser, it will delete the file and try to run it generating an error.

Can you give more details?

What version of IE do you have?

I have IE 8.

I tried downloading the file multiple times... like 10 or 12. Same thing every time.

Right, humour me for a bit:

1. Download a file.

2. Do NOT close the browser.

3. Open the file.

4. Report back the error.

Yea, give us the exact error, word for word that is coming up. And your operating system.

Yeah sure:

Download error. The download file failed verification. Error code = 0x80040204

Firewall down, antivirus off. Same message.

Firewall down, antivirus off. Same message.
Completely disabled? If you read through that link you need it all off - some parts may remain active.

Will definitely require a restart - I'd recommend you boot into safe mode and try that. There shouldn't be AV running then.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
Does this happen for all files, just executables, or just the two browser installers?

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
Something that might be related: I read somewhere that some antivirus software will block you from downloading Chrome.
But if you've already disabled your AV and/or the error shows up for other downloads, then that's not it.

russ_watters
Mentor
It could also be adware/malware, but.....what virus scanner are you using?

Okay, so I tried disabling my Nod32 antivirus again and downloaded chrome no problem. Not sure what I did different but it worked. I guess it was the antivirus though. Thanks!

Okay, so I tried disabling my Nod32 antivirus again and downloaded chrome no problem. Not sure what I did different but it worked. I guess it was the antivirus though. Thanks!
As per the articles I posted earlier, the AV software is causing some big problems.

Glad it's fixed now. Told you it's sneaky and keeps something running in the background even when you think it's gone... :wink:

Ugh, that Nod32. It can be a pain, but when it works, it does its job well. Same with COMODO, can be a severe pain in the *** but when it works, it works.