Internet of Brains: The Future of Minds & More

• Thread starter ISamson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    internet
In summary, scientists are planning to connect a human brain to the internet to create a brainnet. There are many dangers associated with this idea, but it could have many benefits too.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
I have found out that scientists are planning and have connected a human brain to the internet to create a brainnet.
http://neurosciencenews.com/brain-internet-connection-7489/
http://www.businessinsider.com/brain-connected-to-internet-brainternet-2017-9?IR=T
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/scientists-connect-human-brain-internet-first-time/

Michio Kaku also talks about the subject in "The Future of the Mind".

An Internet of Brains might revolutionise the Internet and allow everyone to share everything straight from their own brains (emotions, experiences, skills) straight to the Internet.
You never know what the future holds!
What are your opinions on the topic?
This futuristic innovation has numerous has many dangers. Hacking the brain, brain damage, overload...
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/j5ggjy/the-dangers-of-the-brainternet

What do you think?

Likes Stavros Kiri
Computer science news on Phys.org
ISamson said:
What do you think?

I think that this idea is amazing... to an extent.

One major way it can help us is to resolve any conflict or argument. I personally believe that the reason conflicts ever occur are because people cannot understand other people's opinion. Often, there is no way to share your personal intuition with another person. A good example I can think of is when I do math in my mind. I have several complex processes going on in my mind when doing math. Once somebody asks me how I do it, I cannot answer. At such times I wish I could share my brain process to another person to understand what I'm thinking. This same thought occurs to me when I have an argument. I have an logical process which allows me to make a conclusion, and I know that my opposition has one as well. If only I understood what the other person was thinking (directly from his mind), then I could correct him or correct my intuition. People have trouble fully understanding each other and this could be a solution.

Furthermore, teaching would become phenomenally easier. If someone could upload their knowledge for students to download, this would create a master race. One would not need to attend school, they just need a good WiFi connection. Of course, this is limited by the technology: to what extent is the brain able to process and interpret the data it is receiving. Perhaps there might be a new programming language designed around the brain or a special interpreting hardware to aid the brain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Nevertheless, we cannot address this software without turning to its obvious weakness: hacking. What once used to be the humans resort to private thoughts can easily become an open book to the human's entire life. Again depending on the extent of the technology, hackers can get information from people's memories, things that were never meant to be recorded. This could wreck havoc without the appropriate software. Some people could use the "brain-net" hardware to extract testimonies and confessions from people's thoughts forcefully.

I think that this is idea is amazing, but the disadvantages severely outweigh the advantages. Nice try NSA.

Likes HRubss and ISamson
ISamson said:
What do you think?

I think you didn't read this very carefully. There is no difference between this and putting, say, your blood pressure reading on the internet.

Likes rkolter
Vanadium 50 said:
I think you didn't read this very carefully. There is no difference between this and putting, say, your blood pressure reading on the internet.
I beg to differ. Putting your blood pressure on the internet requires measuring and uploading the blood pressure. This is instantaneous. You can upload essays, posts, websites at the command of your mind onto the internet.

Your statement is like describing telekinesis as picking up and object. No, you're not just picking it up, you are picking it up with your MIND. Being able to upload and download information through your mind remotely is impressive. One cannot simply compare it with typing your blood pressure on the computer and uploading it.

Likes ISamson
lekh2003 said:
I beg to differ. Putting your blood pressure on the internet requires measuring and uploading the blood pressure. This is instantaneous. You can upload essays, posts, websites at the command of your mind onto the internet.

No. Vanadium 50 is correct. Please read what they are aiming to do:

Brainternet works by converting electroencephalogram (EEG) signals (brain waves) in an open source brain live stream. A person wears a powered, mobile, internet accessible Emotiv EEG device for an extended period. During this time, the Emotiv transmits the EEG signals to a Raspberry Pi – a credit card sized little computer – live streams the signals to an application programming interface (code that allows software programmes to communicate), and displays data on a website that acts as a portal. This is currently an open website where the public can observe the individual’s brain activity.

They are live-streaming someone's EEG and making that data available on a public website. That's not exactly the same as turning the brain into an IoT node, regardless of what their long term, loftier goals may be.

I flag this as interesting and kind of cool, but severely overhyped at this time.

rkolter said:
No. Vanadium 50 is correct. Please read what they are aiming to do:
They are live-streaming someone's EEG and making that data available on a public website. That's not exactly the same as turning the brain into an IoT node, regardless of what their long term, loftier goals may be.

I flag this as interesting and kind of cool, but severely overhyped at this time.
Ah I see what you are saying. I'm just being optimistic, thinking further about the capabilities.

ISamson said:
What do you think?
I'm not sure...?

I wonder, though, if somebody "hacked" Michio Kaku's brain... would their TV automatically tune to The History Channel ?. :wink:

Last edited:
Likes lekh2003 and ISamson

What is the "Internet of Brains"?

The "Internet of Brains" refers to the concept of connecting human brains to the internet and other technology, allowing for the exchange of information and communication between brains and devices.

How does the "Internet of Brains" work?

The "Internet of Brains" works by using brain-computer interfaces (BCIs) to connect a person's brain to a computer or network. These interfaces can read and interpret brain signals, allowing for communication and control of devices.

What are the potential benefits of the "Internet of Brains"?

The potential benefits of the "Internet of Brains" include enhanced communication, improved medical treatments for brain-related disorders, and increased access to information and knowledge. It could also potentially lead to advancements in artificial intelligence and human-computer interaction.

What are the potential concerns or risks of the "Internet of Brains"?

Some potential concerns and risks of the "Internet of Brains" include privacy and security concerns, potential misuse of technology, and the potential for creating a digital divide between those who have access to this technology and those who do not.

Is the "Internet of Brains" currently possible?

While there have been advancements in brain-computer interfaces and the technology for connecting brains to the internet, the full concept of the "Internet of Brains" is still in its early stages and not yet fully realized. However, research and development in this area are rapidly advancing, and it may become a reality in the future.