Exploring Different Options for Internet Access

In summary, there are several ways to get internet these days, but each has its own pros and cons. Cable, DSL, and satellite are the most common methods, but wireless and dial-up are also options. Laying your own cable can be prohibitively expensive, but it's a good option if you have the money.
ƒ(x)
So, basically, what are the different ways for someone to get internet these days?

I'm asking because I'm tired of not having decent internet. The satellite that currently used is provided by Hughesnet and stops working at random intervals. As a back up plan, I also use a USB stick from Verizon, which often disconnects me about 1 minute after I log in. Needless to say, these two services are very disappointing.

I don't even live that far from a town, barely outside of the town's city limits. The only problem is that my house is somewhat...inaccessible. I was just wondering if you guys could recommend any ISPs or know how much it costs to lay your own cable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a phone line? Your phone company should provide internet. Frontier is a phone company which provides internet, and is around 26.7mb/s compared to Charter(now MidCo)'s 23.4mb/s

I can't get dsl because of how they installed the phone lines.

ƒ(x) said:
So, basically, what are the different ways for someone to get internet these days? ...

Basically:

- Cable
- DSL
- Satellite (HughesNet)
- Wireless :yuck:
- Dial-up :cry:

Check out http://www.high-speed-internet-access-guide.com/" site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, thanks.

But, almost forgot, do you know how much it costs to lay a cable?

ƒ(x) said:
But, almost forgot, do you know how much it costs to lay a cable?

Prohibitively expensive, in general.

A quick search suggests that the cost varies from $3 per foot in rural areas to $95 per foot in urban. The rural price assumes you'll be laying a good bit; small jobs are costlier.

Ok thanks. I'm getting pretty desperate for decent Internet (my phone gets better Internet than my computer).

My parents have the same problem, drives me nuts. I'd say your best option is to start petitioning for 4G service lol.

1. What are the different types of internet access options available?

Some of the most common internet access options include DSL, cable, fiber optic, satellite, and mobile broadband.

2. How does DSL internet access work?

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) uses existing telephone lines to transmit digital data, allowing for high-speed internet access.

3. What are the benefits of using fiber optic internet access?

Fiber optic internet access offers faster speeds, more reliable connections, and increased bandwidth compared to traditional options like DSL or cable.

4. How can I determine which internet access option is best for me?

Consider factors such as your location, budget, internet usage, and availability of different options in your area when choosing the best internet access option for your needs.

5. Are there any alternative internet access options to traditional providers?

Yes, there are alternative options such as wireless internet providers and community-owned networks that offer internet access without relying on traditional providers.