Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internet problem

1. Aug 8, 2009 #1

Danger

Gold Member

It's been almost impossible for me to get on line for the past 5 days. This is a rare exception to the situation. I think that my D-Link modem is fried. I just asked Telus to send me a new one, which by shear luck includes WiFi, so I can take my MacBook to the can with me.
    Anyhow, if I'm out of touch for a while, that's why. It'll take 4 or 5 days for the new one to arrive. In the meanwhile, I'll be thinking of you all.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good luck!

4. Aug 8, 2009 #3
    Do you have access to a library computer?

5. Aug 8, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I do, but they keep really weird hours. Also, it's either 2 miles of walking or taking the risk of getting caught driving without a license (that's an automatic 5 years in jail). I'm at W's now, since my internet account got transferred to her phone bill when I moved in with her 4 years ago. She's being a total ***** tonight, so I'll see tomorrow whether I'm going to leave it here (which I've done so far only because she became addicted to Facebook and doesn't have a computer of her own) or just immediately get it transferred back to my house.
    Anyhow, I'm going home shortly. I'll be snooping around the forums for a bit first, but once I log out I might not be able to get back for a few days.

6. Aug 9, 2009 #5
    Holy Smokes Danman! I'm sure glad I live in a bad neighbourhood with over crowded jails. I just had to pay a fine.

7. Aug 9, 2009 #6
    PM me. I feel the same way.

8. Aug 9, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

The fine for driving without a license here under normal circumstances isn't all that bad. In my case, though, I lost mine for a year on an impaired charge, which was over 6 years ago. It's going to cost me well over $1,000 to get it back. I have to now, though, since W is moving away and the COPD prevents me from doing much walking. She's leaving on the 29th, so I've got a couple of weeks to do it.
    By the way, I wasn't impaired. I couldn't afford a lawyer, and Legal Aid won't touch traffic-related issues even if they are criminal offenses rather than misdemeanors. Hence, I ended up with a law student from U of C, who refused to offer my defense and pled me guilty. The fact is, as was demonstrated in 'California v. Brown' and confirmed by my respiratory therapist, is that someone with emphysema cannot blow a breathalyzer properly. I had to stop for a breath in the middle of mine. Secondly, if you do manage to blow, it will force a false positive. If I have a couple of beers on a Saturday, and try to take a breathalyzer on Wednesday, it will show that I'm drunk. My lungs retain air that takes incredible effort to expel. When it does finally come out, as a breath tester forces you to accomplish, it carries with it whatever you have had in your bloodstream since it was first absorbed.
    Equate, I can't send or receive PM's until I manage to save the old ones to HD and empty the box.

9. Aug 9, 2009 #8
    No problem. :cool:

Hang in there...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook