What are some recommendations for an ISP that won't take over my computer?

• Thread starter Mudvaynelethaldosage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: I can't remember if you have to make payments or not, but I think you're supposed to for a year after you quit. I haven't used anything else other than university dial-up lines in years, so can't help much on other dial-up services. I used MSN ages ago, and they were okay. At least at the time I didn't have problems with busy signals or disconnects, but I'm not sure they're still as reliable. Other people I know have used Prodigy and AT&T's Worldnet (I think that's dialup). I'm not sure how the prices compare.Just take advantage of all the free trial offers pretty much every service has
Mudvaynelethaldosage
I'm looking for a new ISP. Right now I have america online and absolutely hate it. I know as far as dial up goes, I'm not going to get a significant increase in bandwidth, so I'm looking for other features.
I tried Netzero and had to reformat my hard drive to fix it. The particular Netzero disk even had the same problems in another computer.
I want to use Opera as a browser, so I don't need an isp like aol taking my computer over and making the choices for me.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I know the first recommendation will be dsl or cable, but I live too far out in the country (which also reduces my bandwidth even more). ISDN is not available in my area either. I've looked into satellite, but it's way too expensive. I also don't like the idea of wind being able to knock me offline (assuming wind hitting the dish would knock it offline). I get booted randomly enough by aol. I have to leave my pc online overnight for any downloads over 10 or so MB, so aol does me no good.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a different dial-up? at least that's what it sounded to me. Get earthlink.

yes. I want something different than America Online. I hate Aol with a passion. I'm sure Earthlink would be better than Aol in pretty much anyway, but does it offer something unique from other isps?

I used earthlink several years ago and I was very happy with them... until I got broadband and never looked back.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: What is this "dial up" you speak of

Don't you have to make payments for 6 motnths after you quit from AOL? :yuck:

As far as dial-up, I have no idea. But I would reccomend getting broadband. COX-hi speed internet is supposed to be good. don't get wireless connections, I have them and I HATE IT!

never heard anything about making payments after quitting aol, perhaps if there was a contract for a year and I attempted to terminate the contract early, then I could see.

I'm pretty sure that on sugnup with AOL, their terms of service state that you shall continue oayments for 6 months after leaving

yomamma said:
Don't you have to make payments for 6 motnths after you quit from AOL? :yuck:

As far as dial-up, I have no idea. But I would reccomend getting broadband. COX-hi speed internet is supposed to be good. don't get wireless connections, I have them and I HATE IT!

umm... wireless is great. what are you talking about?

for my desktops, I have a hardwired network, but for my laptop I have wireless.

by the responses I can tell that I better move to a different place if I ever want decent internet. I know though that pretty much anything will beat aol performance wise, and my hard drive will be free of aol. (I'll still find things aol left behind when I'm exploring my computer weeks or even months later. It's happened before it fact)

Well, anything will be better than AOL! Though, I had NetZero for a month (used their free trial period when I was traveling and needed to be able to dial into local lines wherever I was), and got rid of it quickly after I was done traveling...I don't like anything that requires having their special software open when using it, I just want to set my internet connect to dial into their number, enter a username and password and be connected.

I haven't used anything else other than university dial-up lines in years, so can't help much on other dial-up services. I used MSN ages ago, and they were okay. At least at the time I didn't have problems with busy signals or disconnects, but I'm not sure they're still as reliable. Other people I know have used Prodigy and AT&T's Worldnet (I think that's dialup). I'm not sure how the prices compare.

If you live out in the country, you'll probably have the same problem I did, that you can't get DSL because you're just too far in the middle of nowhere. They let me have cable internet here though, so unless there isn't any cable service to where you are (if you're really way out there, I know that's possible), that might be the better option.

Just take advantage of all the free trial offers pretty much every service has. Use a yahoo or hotmail or gmail, or other free email account until you decide, and when you find one you like, keep it instead of canceling.

Oh, and try calling your local phone company. They might offer dial-up service at a reasonable price, especially if they can't offer DSL where you are.

I think you can use AOL without using their stupid software :P I think i tried it once way back in the 40's when dial up was still used.

Pengwuino said:
I think you can use AOL without using their stupid software :P I think i tried it once way back in the 40's when dial up was still used.
You know, not everyone is able or willing to spend $40-$50/month on internet access, and outside of large cities, DSL and cable are not always even available as an option for those willing to pay that much. When you get out too far from the service providers' offices, the signal is too weak to make it worth the cost even if they run cable out that far (usually satellite is the only option out there even for TV). There's nothing wrong with dial-up if you don't need to download large files.

Booo moonbear >:(

Comcast has done a tremendous job running cable internet access out into the countryside (cities with just a few hundred people!) while SBC has DSL for $15/month (and $25 after the first year). Lately they have really been put in direct competition (satellite internet was priced out i believe) and comcast has been upping their speeds 10fold while SBC internet has been cutting prices dramatically.

Everythings wrong with Dialup! Its Un-American I tells ya! :tongue2: :tongue2:

Pengwuino said:

You can use the AOL dialer, which I believe was a feature of 10.0, to dial in without using the AOL browser.

1. What is an Internet Service Provider (ISP)?

An ISP is a company that provides individuals and organizations with access to the Internet. They offer various services such as internet connectivity, email, web hosting, and domain registration.

2. How do I choose the best ISP for my needs?

When choosing an ISP, consider factors such as the type of internet connection they offer (e.g. DSL, cable, fiber), their speed and reliability, pricing and contract terms, customer service, and availability in your area.

3. Can I switch ISPs if I am not satisfied with my current one?

Yes, you can switch ISPs at any time. However, it may depend on your location and the availability of other ISPs in your area. You may also have to pay early termination fees if you are under a contract with your current ISP.

4. What is the difference between a modem and a router?

A modem is a device that connects your home or business to the internet through your ISP. A router, on the other hand, is a device that allows multiple devices to connect to the internet through the modem. It also helps to create a local network within your home or business.

5. How do I troubleshoot internet connection issues with my ISP?

If you are experiencing internet connection issues, first check if there are any outages or maintenance work happening with your ISP. You can also try restarting your modem and router, checking your cables and connections, and running a speed test to see if you are getting the expected speeds. If the issue persists, contact your ISP's customer support for further assistance.