Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internet, what defines an addiction?

1. 5 hours a week or less

1 vote(s)
  2. 10 hours a week or less

2 vote(s)
  3. 20 hours a week or less

0 vote(s)
  4. it's too late now, I'm already addicted !!

2 vote(s)
  1. May 13, 2003 #1
    There is interesting man on TV with a bald head and beady eyes who goes by the name of Dr. Phil. He was telling a woman today (who spends over 20 hours per week on the internet) that she should invest these hours in her family (husband and daughter). That got me thinking about my own addiction, so I ask;

What defines an internet addiction to you, amount of time (and if so, how much time)?

Should we spend more time to brave the ‘real’ world?

...Somebody tell me Dr. Phil must have been joking!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2003 #2
    It's too late for me, folks.
    You might want to get out now before it's too late for you too.
  4. May 13, 2003 #3
    Absolutely no amount of time defines an addiction whatsoever.

The medical definition of addiction is as such:

Compulsive physiological and psychological habits that one continues to do despite the fact that this habit causes negativity in the rest of their life.

You could spend 8 hours a day (perhaps at work) using your computer. You still aren't addicted if you go home and eat dinner with your family, and have fun with kid and wife on the weekends.

Addiction to anything occurs when you can't stop doing it even when doing it is negatively effect your life.

Other remember that, properly, addiction only applies to physiological definition. It's now turned into psych as well but formerly was NOT included. However, our psyche is only electrochemical anyways so there's the opposing position.
  5. May 13, 2003 #4
    Excellent, so as long as I remain convinced that my life is not being negatively affected, then, at least from my perspective, things might actually be ok.
  6. May 13, 2003 #5

Yep, he must have been. 'Real' world, haha. Everybody knows there is nothing outside the internet.
  7. May 14, 2003 #6
    Firstly, Dr. Phil rocks!

And if 20 hours a week is too much... then I'm in trouble!
    I suppose though it's different for me in the sense that I don't have a husband or daughter to tend to (thankfully, for the time being)- like the lady that appeared on Dr. Phil.
    Seeing as though I only have to worry about myself, I don't feel that I am addicted to the net, or anything else, simply because I spend so much time doing it. It's just what I feel like doing at that moment, so I'll do it.
  8. May 14, 2003 #7
    People will bandy about 'Internet addiction' while ignoring their useless 20-30 hours in front of the TV. As long as real life is always first, you're fine!
  9. May 14, 2003 #8
    Well, I only spend an hour per day (thus, 7 hours per week) on the internet, because that's all I'm allowed. Every once-in-a-while, I go a little bit over, but I usually stay in that time-frame. However, I don't think that makes me any less addicted. I experience a NASTY withdrawl, when I can't get on the PFs for even one day.
    Last edited: May 14, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?