Intern in Canada: Tips for Summer in Waterloo

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary: Great Lake of Lake Superior, unless it's just a Canadian thing to call it great.In summary, a group of friends discuss an upcoming internship in Canada and offer advice on places to visit and food to try. They also mention the language barrier and suggest using Google or asking locals for recommendations. They discuss the history of Waterloo and mention nearby attractions such as Niagara Falls and Ottawa. They also mention the tradition of sugaring off and suggest visiting the Great Lakes.
WiFO215
Hey guys,
I've just landed an internship in Canada. Any advice you guys would give to someone staying in Waterloo for the summer? Any places I ought to go see if I have some free time over the weekend? Any food that I just HAVE to try? Let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
WiFO215 said:
Hey guys,
Any advice you guys would give to someone staying in Waterloo for the summer?
Yup... move to Alberta. :biggrin:

Canada's great except everyone speaks French. Learn this phrase and you'll do fine.

Comment puis-je aller en Amérique à partir d'ici?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Canada's great except everyone speaks French.

lol, I avoid America for a similar reason, everyone there speaks American.

WiFO215 said:
Any advice you guys would give to someone staying in Waterloo
If you're already in the habit of eating french fries [edit: typically eaten with ketchup in the US], you might want to acclimate yourself to fries and gravy.

Last edited:
That's fine for a casual meal, but if you want fancy, add some cheese curds on that! Mmmmm...poutin. lol spell check doesn't recognize our near national dish?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Canada's great except everyone speaks French. Learn this phrase and you'll do fine.

Comment puis-je aller en Amérique à partir d'ici?

Your Quebecois french is a little rusty there Jimmy.
It is customary to begin each spoken french sentence with the phrae:
"Tabernaque. Ca faites mal..."
to appear as having integrated into the local population.

nitsuj said:
That's fine for a casual meal, but if you want fancy, add some cheese curds on that! Mmmmm...poutin. lol spell check doesn't recognize our near national dish?

Yes. Sadly it is now Mcdonald Big Mac with fries. But only til the the revolution.
You may have wondered why the students are marching in the streets of Montreal and causing chaos. - not enough poutine shops commonly known as a Casse Croute and the high inflating cost of cheese curds which puts poutine out of the price range of the common man( and woman ).

Last edited:
Well there is always Pepsi & Jos Louis'...yea..now who's hittin' the culture button!

WiFO215 said:
Hey guys,
I've just landed an internship in Canada. Any advice you guys would give to someone staying in Waterloo for the summer? Any places I ought to go see if I have some free time over the weekend? Any food that I just HAVE to try? Let me know!
Congratulations. Where are you from? What languages do you speak? Regarding your question about how to spend your free time and what local food to try -- Google. Yahoo. And of course ... experience. And tell us about your experiences.

ThomasT said:
Congratulations. Where are you from? What languages do you speak? Regarding your question about how to spend your free time and what local food to try -- Google. Yahoo. And of course ... experience. And tell us about your experiences.

Thanks! I'm from India. I don't know any French. I do know some German but I don't think that will be of much use here. Perhaps I should learn some French, but seeing that I'm going to an English speaking part of the country, I'm not really worried. Google's alright, but it's always nice to have a local resident tell you what you don't want to miss while you're around. Will certainly let you know how it went.

WiFO215 said:
Thanks! I'm from India. I don't know any French. I do know some German but I don't think that will be of much use here. Perhaps I should learn some French, but seeing that I'm going to an English speaking part of the country, I'm not really worried. Google's alright, but it's always nice to have a local resident tell you what you don't want to miss while you're around. Will certainly let you know how it went.
OK, best wishes to you. As far as I know Canadien food is a lot like US food. Pretty mundane, but if prepared creatively, then perhaps quite surprisingly tasty.

WiF0215 - Waterloo is near the Toronto metroploitain area so you will have no trouble finding and locating members from your home country if that suits your fancy. Toronto has some famous tall tower there which I think they let you go up to a certain level to see the scenary from above.

Actually a little history - Waterloo sits on a swamp - drained of course and the first settler to arrive was a Mennonite from Pensylvania who I guess bought a few acres of swamp land. Not to be deterred though with his new purchase he drained the swamp, built a log camp, grist mill, school, and formed a community which later became known as Waterloo. I think the individuals name was Ezra and of course he did not do it all by himself but his name predominates. There are some surviving relics of that time around the early 1800's that you could check out.

You are not too far from Niagara Falls on the US-Canada border- an hour and a half.
And not too far from the nations capital of Ottawa - about 4 hours.
Another 2 to 3 hours from Ottawa and you could be in Montreal, Qc where you could experience some french culture which by the way is no different than any other culture in N. America, except for the french thing, and most understand english anyways considering that the province of quebec was 75% english speaking at one in the past anyways.
Since you are here only for the summer you will have missed the sugaring off season which is just an excuse to go to a "big house converted to a restaurant" in a country setting and eat a lot and then eat more. They still offer that during the whole summer and winter but then you just can't say you then went to a sugaring off festival. Sugaring off is collecting the sap from maple trees, boiling it in a big tub and making maple syrup. You might want to take some of that back with you as gifts back home.

You can go see lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and maybe do some fishing, waterskiing or other fun stuff in cold water. I do not know if you can eat the fish with three eyeballs though.
You can extend yourelf further west to see Lake Superior and lake Michigan which are the last 2 of the 5 Great Lakes which I think are the largest fresh water lakes in the world. By fresh it is meant that it is not salty, and not necessarily fresh to drink because fish do poop and pee.

You will find restaurants Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, Indian, japanese, Polish, Chinese etcetera for what suits your fancy in most metropolitan areas if you do not like Canadian food which is meat vegetables and potatoes with desert and coffee - an all around well balanced diet. and don't forget bread and buns.

Tea is not as well established a drink. But you will find that if you investigate enough you will find a certain store in that will sell what you are used to in drinks and food so you do not get so homesick.

By the way you can't see it all in one summer.

Thank you so much 256bits! I certainly won't be able to see all of that in one go seeing that I'm going to work and not to tour. :tongue: I hope to see the Niagara falls at least. Let's see how much free time my adviser leaves me.

1. What is the process for obtaining an internship in Canada?

The process for obtaining an internship in Canada will vary depending on your country of origin and the specific program you are applying to. Generally, you will need to secure a job offer from a Canadian employer and apply for a work permit through the Canadian government's website. It is important to research the specific requirements and application process for the program you are interested in.

2. Is it difficult to secure an internship in Canada?

Securing an internship in Canada can be competitive, but it is not impossible. It is important to have a strong application and relevant experience in your field of interest. Networking and utilizing resources such as career fairs and online job postings can also increase your chances of securing an internship in Canada.

3. What are some tips for adjusting to living in Waterloo during the summer?

Some tips for adjusting to living in Waterloo during the summer include familiarizing yourself with the city's public transportation system, connecting with other interns or students through social media or local events, and exploring the city's attractions and cultural events. It can also be helpful to research the climate and pack accordingly for the summer weather.

4. Are there any cultural differences to be aware of when interning in Canada?

As with any country, there may be cultural differences to be aware of when interning in Canada. Some things to keep in mind include being punctual, respecting personal space and boundaries, and using formal language in professional settings. It is always a good idea to research the culture and customs of the country you will be interning in to ensure you are respectful and aware of any potential differences.

5. What are some opportunities for professional development during an internship in Canada?

There are many opportunities for professional development during an internship in Canada. Some employers may offer training programs or workshops, and there may also be networking events or conferences in your field of interest. Additionally, taking on challenging projects and seeking feedback from your supervisor can also help you develop your skills and knowledge in your chosen field.