1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internship Advice

Tags:
  1. May 21, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

I am planning on applying for a internship when University begins again in the fall. Now I'll be entering into second year, and will most likely be looking for a programming internship or engineering internship (electronics based). I want to use this summer to add skills/projects that would help aid my overall applications/resume.

At the moment the programming languages I'm familiar with are Python (extensive), Java (fair) --currently learning how to develop android apps.
    I'm currently studying databases (XML, SQL) based on the coursera self study course. I've been going over EE fundamentals (coursers course again --no certificate due to late enrolment), and purchased an Arduino starter kit about 2 weeks ago. I want to continue to extend my foundation in electronics over the course of the entire summer. Towards the end of the summer (August) I want to devote myself to C. Also, I'm not sure if maybe I should pick up HTML and CSS, and work on developing a website.

Now I need recommendations/advice on other possible skills/ways that I can help improve my application. Feel to critique my above plans.
    Thank-you .

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2
    So, are you looking for a tech company type internship? If so, I would recommend learning algorithms (try Cormen) for a start. I believe tech companies value it greatly and it is a key component that they look for later on.

Do you know network programming? If not, you can read a bit on that (try a very famous one) and you might want to do some UNIX as well, especially for that book. Aside from that, you said you are learning Sql and databases. I reckon you should just ensure you are fluent with that and, as far as technical knowledge goes, that is great.

FYI, I am not and have never been an intern. This advice is based off what I have learnt and my own interest in Computer Science. However, I believe my advice is accurate and reliable.

4. May 21, 2014 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

You have an unusual mix of skills: generic programming mixed with some interest in electronics. Unfortunately, one isn't going to support the other unless you get involved in embedded programming (I mean Java and SQL aren't used in electronics). The Arudino is a good start. If I were you I'd look into getting an FPGA development board and learning VHDL (if you're in Europe) or Verilog (if you're in North America or Asia). Those would be two sensible ways to merge an interest in software and electronics.

5. May 22, 2014 #4
    I've often heard that learning about databases is a very useful skill to have from upper-year undergraduates, so thats essentially why I want to learn it. Networking though is somethings I definitely have interest in.

6. May 22, 2014 #5
    I'll definitely take up your suggestion for Verilog if time permits.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. May 24, 2014 #6
    Hey, so I've been reading about FPGA development boards/verilog (note I'm from canada) and apparently the software is only available on windows, not macs (which sucks since I have a mac). Namely, I was looking into https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11953 and then following it up at http://embeddedmicro.com/tutorials/mojo/ there doesn't seem to be any indication of setup on macs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook