1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internship and Resume

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    Hello there,

Im a chemical engineering major, and i need some help writing a resume for internships. Is there any good format that i should follow? Do i have to write an essay? List of references?

thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

If you mean essay as in a cover letter, definitely. Even if they don't ask for one, it is automatically assumed for any professional job/internship. I only list references if it is asked.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    Not true all the time. I applied for tons of internship postings and usually leave the cover letter field blank - I still get numerous calls from employers for interviews (whether it be phone or on-site). I actually accepted an offer in which I didn't even provide a cover letter at all.

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    So for a professional job (not an internship), if they just ask for a resume... should I assume that they don't need a cover letter? I'm just asking so I can save me the trouble and time in writing cover letters every time I apply for different jobs.

6. Jan 14, 2008 #5
    I would assume the same thing - if they don't request it, then no. Some employers always read cover letters, and some don't even bother with it. I would think that if they TOLD you specifically that you need one, then you obviously need one.

For example, I've applied to a lot of jobs @ IBM. When you apply, they have a covers letter section (which isn't required, but it's still there) and a resume section (obviously which is required). I've just left the cover letter section blank and just pasted my resume. Still got calls from them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?