Get an Internship with Physics Major at U of I Urbana

• Thread starter Ikoro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the speaker is a sophomore physics major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign who is worried about not being qualified for a Department of Energy internship. They have written a theoretical physics paper and are working on a wireless power transfer project, but feel that their resume is lacking compared to others. They are seeking advice for applying to internships at various national labs, including Brookhaven National Laboratory. The conversation also mentions a one-week mini semester program at BNL that can potentially lead to longer internships.
Ikoro
Ok, am a physics major currently a sophmore at U of I urbana..Now i have this feeling that i would not be good enough for the DOE to get an internship next year.
I haven't accomplished anything major except i wrote a theoritical physics paper: Modelling Maxwell's solution in a vector and subspace field.-my freshman year and presented it (about 2months ago). Anyways the paper is currently under review. (no guarantee it will be published)
And am currently working on a wireless power transfer project, which i hope to patent in october. ( don't know if am gnna meet my deadline)

Anyways, with these things i still think i have not got the right resume to impress any lab. Like i haven't held a job( mainly because am 17 ,well gnna be 18 this yr end, and my parents are too protective) and i hvent done any school or department sponsored research yet. So, what kind of resume should i have to impress these people. I am freaking out?? Applications start in 3months!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ikoro said:
Ok, am a physics major currently a sophmore at U of I urbana..Now i have this feeling that i would not be good enough for the DOE to get an internship next year.
I haven't accomplished anything major except i wrote a theoritical physics paper: Modelling Maxwell's solution in a vector and subspace field.-my freshman year and presented it (about 2months ago). Anyways the paper is currently under review. (no guarantee it will be published)
And am currently working on a wireless power transfer project, which i hope to patent in october. ( don't know if am gnna meet my deadline)

Anyways, with these things i still think i have not got the right resume to impress any lab. Like i haven't held a job( mainly because am 17 ,well gnna be 18 this yr end, and my parents are too protective) and i hvent done any school or department sponsored research yet. So, what kind of resume should i have to impress these people. I am freaking out?? Applications start in 3months!

Is it a theoretical internship? I'd guess that they're looking for grades more than anything else. From my experience, that's the main factor.

No, it is a lab job at the Department of Energy.

Ikoro said:
No, it is a lab job at the Department of Energy.
o0.. Are you applying for the Brookhaven National Laboratory also?

Nano-Passion said:
o0.. Are you applying for the Brookhaven National Laboratory also?

Yes Ames, Oak ridge, Brookhaven and los alamos, any advice.

Ikoro said:
Yes Ames, Oak ridge, Brookhaven and los alamos, any advice.

Oh that's a bunch, hmm.. I have had two friends and they didn't have particularly high grades or anything special at all and they got in. One in nanotech and the other hunting squirrels...

You should do the mini semester program at winter break. Its a one week ordeal and you get to develop a connection with staff members.. my friend recommended it to me.

"Students spend one week at BNL during the winter break and participate in a lab related research project. Students also interact with Laboratory staff members, attend lectures on current projects and are guided on tours of Laboratory facilities to witness scientific research in progress. Students are expected to participate in a team research experience and present their results."

Taken from bnl

Nano-Passion said:
Oh that's a bunch, hmm.. I have had two friends and they didn't have particularly high grades or anything special at all and they got in. One in nanotech and the other hunting squirrels...

lol... hunting squirrels??

"Students spend one week at BNL during the winter break and participate in a lab related research project. Students also interact with Laboratory staff members, attend lectures on current projects and are guided on tours of Laboratory facilities to witness scientific research in progress. Students are expected to participate in a team research experience and present their results."

One week?? does it improve my chances for a longer internship during the summer..if it does then ill check it out

Ikoro said:
lol... hunting squirrels??

One week?? does it improve my chances for a longer internship during the summer..if it does then ill check it out

lmao.. He was an engineer but he did his internship in environmental science or something just for interest.

"Program Benefits

Many of these students return to BNL as part of the Community College Institute (CCI) or the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI). Both of these programs offer students the opportunity to become part of a scientific research team for a summer. The SULI program also offers internships during the fall and spring semesters. Students who participate in the College Mini-Semester program are encouraged to apply for the 16-week academic semester programs and for the 10-week summer program."

Like I said, it gives you a chance to develop a connection with staff members. My friend who landed an internship in nanotech emailed a staff member in the nanotech firm, got lucky, and met with him to talk. He said he pretty much got the internship from there.

Last edited:
Nano-Passion said:
Ikoro said:
lmao.. He was an engineer but he did his internship in environmental science or something just for interest.

Sounds more like it. lol, it should be a science at all...unless they ve changed the definition of science. didnt get the memo.

Students who participate in the College Mini-Semester program are encouraged to apply for the 16-week academic semester programs and for the 10-week summer program." My friend who landed an internship in nanotech emailed a staff member in the nanotech firm, got lucky, and met with him to talk. He said he pretty much got the internship from there.

Nice i think i am going to do it..gives me a better chance as you said,hopefully the application isn't over yet..Do you know where u can fund the application for it..

Ikoro said:
Nice i think i am going to do it..gives me a better chance as you said,hopefully the application isn't over yet..Do you know where u can fund the application for it..

Yea of course, its a nice opportunity to see what its like and its a valuable experience. Should be fun. ^.^

http://www.bnl.gov/education/program.asp?q=117

"Application Process

see your school placement office representative"

I'm going to call my school tomorrow and see what they say. Never heard of "school placement office representative" before 0__o.

Deadline is Friday, November 19, 2010, at 1:00 a.m, but the earlier the better of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What types of internships are available for physics majors at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign?

There are a variety of internships available for physics majors at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Some examples include research internships in labs or with faculty, industry internships with companies such as Caterpillar or John Deere, and teaching internships with local schools or outreach programs.

2. How can I find and apply for internships as a physics major at U of I Urbana?

The best way to find and apply for internships as a physics major at U of I Urbana is to utilize the resources provided by the university's career center. They offer job and internship databases, resume and cover letter assistance, and networking events to help students connect with potential employers.

3. Are internships required for physics majors at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign?

No, internships are not required for physics majors at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. However, they are highly recommended as they provide valuable hands-on experience and can help students develop important skills and connections in their field.

4. Can international students majoring in physics at U of I Urbana participate in internships?

Yes, international students majoring in physics at U of I Urbana are eligible to participate in internships. However, they may need to obtain proper work authorization before starting the internship.

5. What are some potential benefits of completing an internship as a physics major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign?

Completing an internship as a physics major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign can provide many benefits, including practical experience in the field, networking opportunities, and the potential for job offers after graduation. Internships can also help students clarify their career goals and make valuable connections with professionals in their field.