Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internship Project Help?

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Hey all,

I currently have an internship with a Nanotechnology Company. I am currently working on a cooling separator for the company's product. Nevertheless, I was doing some research and found that something already exist that I can just modify and meet my goals. I found a cooling chamber, small wine cooler cellar, that uses a peltier strip to cool the materials inside the cellar. However, it can only cool down to 8 degrees C and I want to go down to as low as -20 degrees C. I know for a fact that the strip used in the machine can cool down to -40 degrees C. My question is, how can I modify the system to obtain my desired temperature? Can I just change the control unit? I believe peltier strips uses a voltage that runs through it to control its temperature. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Chong Thor

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2
    any help?

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To get the little wine cooler to much lower temperatures, you will have to get a more powerful thermoelectric cooler and a more powerful circuit to run it, or you will need to increase the insulation of the cooler. It's likely that a combination of both would be the best approach, by getting a more powerful TEC and wrapping the cooler in thick insulating material.

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4
    I asked my boss again about the constraints again and we only want to go as low as 4 degrees C. He feels like we can do it with a different controller or thermostat. When we turn the controller to its lowest, 8 degrees C, the system sounds very efficient and smooth so we know that it can go lower. Any ideas?

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you're right if the controller only goes down to 8C you'll need a new one.

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6
    You might be able to use the existing thermostat and controller if you can re-locate the thermostat somewhere "outside the box". Inside the insulation blanket there will be a temp gradient between ambient and inside temp. Relocating the thermostat to the right place inside the blanket will fool the controller into thinking more cooling is needed. A separate thermostat inside the box will allow you to know if your target has been reached.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook