1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpolation ?

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    Interpolation ???

A treatment plant consists of a primary sedimentation tank followed by a trickling filter that removes 80% of the influent BOD. The flow is then directed to a constructed marsh system that has an influent target BOD concentration of 30 mg/l before being discharged to a small stream.

Using the following table of % BOD removal to overflow rate and calculate the dimensions of a circular sedimentation tank suitable for the imposed flow with a detention time of 1.5 hours. Assume BOD and flow of wastewater entering the plant to be 214.245 mg/l and 848 kL/day.
    BOD Removal % 22.0 31.5 33.5 35.5 36.5 37.5
    Overflow rate m3/m2/day 100 50 40 30 25 20

How do I find the value of overflow rate when the BOD removal percentage is 80% from this table?
    Do I use interpolation ? I'm not sure on how to use interpolation.

Thanks Stacy.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: Interpolation ???

hi stac
    2 questions
    - first, do you have any ideas how to do it?
    - 2nd are you sure its 80% BOD removal? this is a very large extrapolation of the table... could it be calculate BOD rate by interpolating from a given overflow rate?

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    Re: Interpolation ???

I know how to answer the question, just not how to find the overflow rate at 80% BOD.
    The question is exactly what I have written so i have to find the overflow rate at 80% BOD.
    Thanks Stacy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook