1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpret the given sum

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1
    Interpret the given sum Sn as a sum of areas of rectangles approximating the area of a certain region in the plane, and hence evaluate (x→ infinity) lim Sn

n
    Sn ∑2/n(1-((2i)/n))
    i=1

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/Pitoraq/?action=view&current=Rms2.jpg
    (number 17)

Attempt at solution:

I guess that the function is y = 1-2x is it right ?

How to solve for lim when x →infinity ?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not quite. Notice that the [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is 2/n. And so "x" is 2i/n. Or, you could factor that 2 out of the sum so that [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is 1/n. In that case, "x" is indeed i/n. Do you see that those both give the same integral?

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x does NOTgo to infinity; n does. You could use standard algebraic formulas to evaluate the sum explicitly as a function of n, then let n go to infinity in that formula. You should have seen already all the summations you need, somewhere in your course notes or your textbook.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook