1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpretation of a PDE

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    Given [tex] \triangle u = f(x,y,z)[/tex] on a given body with vanishing neumann boundary conditions. I'm asked to interpret it in terms of heat and diffusion.

Since heat/diffusion take the form [tex] u_t = k \triangle u[/tex], I am a little confused as I there is no time term here. I think the answer is that u denotes the concentration of heat/substance and the PDE is saying that no heat/substance will escape the body. The process is time invariant, so the PDE is just defining the distribution of heat/substance inside the body to follow this strange rule that its laplacian is f?

Is this reasoning correct? Can I assign some physical intuition to the distribution of heat/substance inside the body following the rule that its laplacian be f?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    bump.. is something unclear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook