Interpretation of Bi-207 decay spectrum

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the decay spectrum of Bi-207 using a scintillation detector and interpreting the information from the spectrum. The nuclei decay to the excited states of Pb-207 primarily via EC and a small beta+ branch, emitting beta particles and gamma rays. The peaks in the measured spectrum were identified as the Compton edges of the Pb-207 gammas, and the absence of photo peaks was noted. Further information on the level schemes and calibration of the detector was requested.
XLAYZ
TL;DR Summary
Please help me interpret the Bi-207 decay spectrum, e.g. origin of the peaks, whether beta particles or gammas.
I measured the decay spectrum of Bi-207 as a beta source with scintillation detector and now I am trying to interpret the information given by the spectrum. As far as I know, the Bi-207 nuclei decay to the excited states of Pb-207 primarily via EC and a small beta+ branch, emitting beta particles of E_max=806keV, E_ave=383 keV, and the excited states of Pb-207 decays via IC, emitting conversion electrons of ~ 1 MeV. In addition, the Bi-207 decay was accompanied by emission of gamma rays of 570 keV (98%), 1064 keV(74.6%), and 1770 keV (6.87%).

In this measurement Bi-207 was used as the beta source to test the detector response to beta particles, however, in similar measured spectrum of Bi-207 made by others, it was described as the gamma spectrum with peaks at 570 and 1064 keV.
ask.png

Now I am quite confused of the measured spectrum, e.g. the origin of the two peaks, and what else information can be drawn from the spectrum.
Any helps would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gammas from the decay of the 207Pb excited states. Look up the level schemes.

I am assuming the abscissa for your spectrum is channel number is that correct? If so what are the energies that the peaks represent? I also assume that at some point you calibrated the detector.

I would have expected to see a few sharper peaks also.

bobob said:
Gammas from the decay of the 207Pb excited states. Look up the level schemes.
Thanks, now I have figured it out. Those "peaks" were the Compton edges of the Pb-207 gammas.

gleem said:
I am assuming the abscissa for your spectrum is channel number is that correct? If so what are the energies that the peaks represent? I also assume that at some point you calibrated the detector.
Yes, they were the Compton edges of gammas. Thanks.

XLAYZ said:
es, they were the Compton edges of gammas. Thanks.

So where are the photo peaks? You should also describe your experimental setup. Your spectrum is not showing a typical response to gammas of the energy emitted by Pb207.

1. What is Bi-207 decay spectrum?

Bi-207 decay spectrum is a graphical representation of the energy levels and intensities of the different particles emitted during the radioactive decay of Bismuth-207.

2. How is the Bi-207 decay spectrum interpreted?

The Bi-207 decay spectrum is interpreted by analyzing the energy levels and intensities of the particles emitted, which can provide information about the nuclear structure and properties of the Bismuth-207 atom.

3. What can the interpretation of Bi-207 decay spectrum tell us?

The interpretation of Bi-207 decay spectrum can tell us about the energy levels and transitions within the atom, as well as the type and energy of the particles emitted during the decay process.

4. Why is the interpretation of Bi-207 decay spectrum important?

The interpretation of Bi-207 decay spectrum is important because it can provide valuable information about the nuclear structure and properties of Bismuth-207, which can be used in various scientific and medical applications.

5. How is the interpretation of Bi-207 decay spectrum used in research?

The interpretation of Bi-207 decay spectrum is used in research to study the nuclear structure and properties of Bismuth-207, as well as in the development of new nuclear technologies and medical treatments.