Interpretations of QM: Benefits & Insights

In summary, many interpretations of quantum mechanics exist, some of which are beneficial to the theory while others are not. There is still no experiment that could rule out any of the interpretations, and research on these interpretations is ongoing.
Niles
Hi

I been reading on some of the different interpretations of QM (Many Worlds, Copenhagen, polit wave, etc.), and I still can't figure it out: Are these interpretations beneficial to QM? Have we ever gained any new insight from these?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's still no experiment that would rule out any interpretation of QM. There's Bell experiment that hit hidden variables interpretations, but there are still people who believe in it, rejecting Special Relativity instead. Some interpretations are deliberately unfalsifiable.

haael said:
There's Bell experiment that hit hidden variables interpretations, but there are still people who believe in it, rejecting Special Relativity instead.
To believe in hidden variables, one does not need to reject special relativity:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1002.3226

Hi.
Niles said:
Are these interpretations beneficial to QM?
I do not think physics without interpretations stands. The point is which one is most useful. Now many scientists' favorite is Copenhagen.
Regards.

Last edited:
Niles said:
Hi

I been reading on some of the different interpretations of QM (Many Worlds, Copenhagen, polit wave, etc.), and I still can't figure it out: Are these interpretations beneficial to QM?
Not, per se, wrt to its application. That is, they neither detract from nor add to the efficacy of standard qm (interpreted as a probability calculus employing the Born rule) as an empirical theory of quantum phenomena.

Niles said:
Have we ever gained any new insight from these?
Most definitely yes. There are many eloquent and sophisticated proponents, some of whom are working physicists, of the various interpretations of qm right here at PF. The definitive interpretation of qm is an open question in physics. It's a lifetime of work. Don't expect an easy answer. There are regular contributors to PF whose perspectives and insights regarding qm will help you to learn. There have been some very enlightening discussions wrt interpretations of qm through the years here at PF. Research all threads, current and past, pertaining to your question.

Last edited:
Niles said:
: Are these interpretations beneficial to QM?
It depends on what the questions you ask are. If you are interested in practical applications of QM, such as calculations of atom energy levels or scattering amplitudes, then they are not much beneficial. If you ask more fundamental questions, then you cannot avoid interpretations.

haael said:
There's still no experiment that would rule out any interpretation of QM. There's Bell experiment that hit hidden variables interpretations, but there are still people who believe in it, rejecting Special Relativity instead. Some interpretations are deliberately unfalsifiable.

I'm with Demystifier here. In fact one of the primary motivations for hidden variables is to avoid the nonlocal issue, i.e., to avoid a rejection of Special Relativity. The nonlocal hidden variable theories is a separate class which I spend minimal time getting familiar with.

my_wan said:
I'm with Demystifier here. In fact one of the primary motivations for hidden variables is to avoid the nonlocal issue, i.e., to avoid a rejection of Special Relativity. The nonlocal hidden variable theories is a separate class which I spend minimal time getting familiar with.
Well, my point is that it is possible to have both NONlocality and special relativity at the same time.

See also
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1006.1986

1. What is quantum mechanics (QM) and why is it important in science?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It has allowed us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in ways that classical mechanics cannot. QM is important in science because it has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers, and has helped us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental workings of the universe.

2. What are the benefits of interpreting QM in different ways?

One benefit of interpreting QM in different ways is that it allows us to explore and understand its underlying principles from different perspectives. This can lead to new insights and potentially new applications of QM. Additionally, different interpretations can help resolve apparent contradictions and inconsistencies within QM, leading to a more complete understanding of the theory.

3. How do interpretations of QM differ from the actual theory?

Interpretations of QM are different ways of understanding and explaining the mathematical formalism of the theory. The actual theory of QM, as described by the Schrödinger equation and other mathematical equations, remains the same. However, different interpretations can provide different explanations for the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. Can interpretations of QM be tested or proven?

No, interpretations of QM cannot be tested or proven in the same way that scientific theories can be. They are philosophical interpretations and do not make specific predictions or hypotheses that can be tested. However, some interpretations may lead to testable predictions or experiments that could potentially support or refute them.

5. What insights can be gained from studying different interpretations of QM?

Studying different interpretations of QM can provide insights into the fundamental nature of reality, the role of consciousness in quantum systems, and the implications of QM for our understanding of causality and determinism. It can also lead to new ways of thinking about and approaching problems in physics and other scientific fields.